Offering 13% below asking on an Atlanta detached home after 112 days

kai_cole

Buyer
Established
I can either offer close to the $555,000 asking price and preserve goodwill, or start at $482,850 and risk the seller dismissing me. Neither feels comfortable because the detached Atlanta home has been listed for 112 days, requires work, and there are not enough completed comparables to support a precise value.

My financing is straightforward and I can be flexible about completion. I would prefer to keep inspection, financing and appraisal contingencies, then seek a credit only if the inspection finds costly defects rather than dated finishes. Is the 13% reduction best explained briefly through condition and limited sales evidence, or should the offer contain estimated repair figures? My decision rule is different for cosmetic work than for roof, drainage, electrical, or heating and cooling problems.
 
Present it as a complete offer rather than an argument about what is wrong with the house. Include financing proof, your flexible timing and a clear response deadline. The 112 days supports testing a lower number, but it doesn’t prove the seller must accept it.

I would retain inspection, financing and appraisal protections unless you can comfortably absorb the associated risks.
 
You have already checked the listing period and the shortage of useful completed sales. What remains unclear is the nature of the work and whether the asking price has previously been reduced.

I agree that keeping the protections is sensible, but those two facts could change how aggressive the opening should be. If the issues are dated finishes, the seller may see them as reflected in the price already. If they involve the roof, drainage, electrical system, or heating and cooling, inspection findings and a repair credit become much more important. I would also ask whether an earlier contract fell through, since that may say more about motivation than 112 days on the market.
 
I agree on keeping the protections, but I wouldn’t send a long written justification. A detailed list of defects can sound like you are trying to win a debate. Refer briefly to condition, time available and the limited completed comparables, then let the clean terms carry the offer. Asking prices are weak evidence if those homes are also sitting.
 
Thirteen percent is aggressive, but not inherently insulting. Decide your second number before submitting the first. If $482,850 is just an anchor and you would readily pay much more, know the steps you are willing to take. Otherwise the seller’s counter can pull you upward without any new information.
 
On inspection, tell your agent you are focused on major systems, structure, water intrusion and other costly surprises—not paint colours or dated counters. You can later request a repair credit if a significant issue appears. I would not promise in advance that you will make no requests, because you do not yet know what the inspection will uncover.
 
Also connect each contingency to the deposit. The important issue is not merely having inspection, financing and appraisal language, but understanding the deadlines and what happens to the deposit if you terminate. Contract wording and local practice matter, so have the relevant clauses explained before signing rather than relying on a verbal assurance.
 
Make the response deadline firm but not theatrical. A same-evening expiry may antagonise the seller more than the price, particularly if they need time to discuss it. Give enough time for a considered response while avoiding an open-ended offer that can be used to solicit another buyer.
 
Before submitting, ask whether the seller has a preferred completion date and whether there have been earlier offers or contracts. They may not disclose much, but flexibility on timing could have real value. If their priority is certainty rather than headline price, financing proof and straightforward terms may partly offset the low opening.
 
One caveat to GraceWong’s appraisal point: keeping an appraisal contingency is sensible, but decide now whether you would cover any gap at all. Do not casually offer an unlimited appraisal gap to make the bid look stronger. Set a maximum exposure you can fund without disturbing the cash needed for updating and unexpected repairs.
 
I’d structure the message in three parts: the offer amount, evidence that you can perform, and the seller-friendly timing. Then one neutral sentence saying the price reflects the home’s condition, its 112 days of availability and uncertainty in completed comparable sales. No criticism of the seller’s taste and no itemised renovation budget.
 
I’m less comfortable with using the 112 days as strong leverage until you know why it sat. It could be overpriced, but access, timing or a deal that collapsed could also explain it. The completed sales are the missing piece. Try to compare similar detached homes by location, size, condition and sale timing rather than relying on nearby asking prices.
 
Set three figures before you act: the opening price, the highest price justified by the information you have, and the total cash exposure you can tolerate after deposit, appraisal gap and repairs. Submit the clean $482,850 offer with financing evidence, flexible completion, a reasonable deadline and intact protections. If the seller counters, ask what changed besides the number; then move only within your pre-set limit.
 
Back
Top