If I misjudge this offer, I could either overpay or expose a large deposit on a property the lender values differently. This is my first purchase at this level: a four-bedroom warehouse property in Montreal listed for C$1,863,000, on the market for 59 days and requiring some updating.
I’m considering C$1,825,740, which is 2% under asking, supported by financing proof and flexibility on completion. There are nearby listings around the same level, but too little completed evidence for me to know whether they support the seller’s figure. Does that opening leave sensible room to negotiate, or does the unusual warehouse configuration make the percentage almost irrelevant?
I also need to decide on the response period, deposit amount and any request for repair credits. I do not want to give up inspection, financing or appraisal protection merely to strengthen a modest discount, so what would you make the next priority: clarify the seller’s motivation, obtain the comparables behind the asking price, or confirm the lender’s view of the intended use?
I’m considering C$1,825,740, which is 2% under asking, supported by financing proof and flexibility on completion. There are nearby listings around the same level, but too little completed evidence for me to know whether they support the seller’s figure. Does that opening leave sensible room to negotiate, or does the unusual warehouse configuration make the percentage almost irrelevant?
I also need to decide on the response period, deposit amount and any request for repair credits. I do not want to give up inspection, financing or appraisal protection merely to strengthen a modest discount, so what would you make the next priority: clarify the seller’s motivation, obtain the comparables behind the asking price, or confirm the lender’s view of the intended use?