Offering 2% under on a HK$9,087,000 detached home after 118 days

flag.amber

Homeowner
I can either start close to HK$9,087,000 and risk paying too much for the condition, or open lower and risk losing a home that may have other interest. Neither feels comfortable when the listing has already been up for 118 days but there are few completed sales to use as a benchmark.

The property is a one-bedroom detached home in Hong Kong, and I am considering an offer 2% under the asking price. I can show proof of finance and accommodate the seller’s preferred completion timing. Would that be enough justification, and how long should I leave the offer open without making the deadline sound hostile?

I would keep an inspection condition. I am less certain how to handle finance, the deposit and a valuation that comes in below the agreed price. Which of those protections would you refuse to weaken?
 
Two percent below is HK$8,905,260, so it doesn’t strike me as an aggressive opening after 118 days. Keep the explanation short: condition, limited completed evidence and your ability to proceed. Financing proof and completion flexibility are more persuasive than a long critique of the property. Include a reasonable response deadline, but don’t present it as an ultimatum.
 
What does “needs updating” mean here? Old finishes are one thing; uncertain roof, drainage, structure or services are another. That answer affects both the price and whether you should seek a later repair credit. I’d also ask why the seller is moving and whether the 118 days include any periods when viewings or negotiations were effectively paused.
 
One more missing fact: how confident are you that the asking-price comparables are genuinely comparable detached homes rather than simply nearby one-bedroom listings? Site, access, outdoor maintenance and building condition can make a large difference. Even a small number of completed sales may be more useful if the physical characteristics closely match.
 
I slightly disagree with leading on the updating. Sellers often hear that as an attempt to itemise every dated surface and deduct the retail replacement cost. Make the offer primarily about your assessment of present value. Preserve the right to inspect, then deal separately with material defects if any appear. Cosmetic preferences should already be reflected in the initial number.
 
That distinction helps. I don’t yet know whether the updating is purely cosmetic, which is a good reason not to overstate it in the offer. I’m leaning toward HK$8,905,260 with financing evidence, a completion window rather than one fixed date, and a brief explanation based on condition and limited completed-sales evidence. I would still want an inspection before taking on unknown repair risk.
 
Before submitting, get clarity on what your financing proof actually demonstrates and whether the lender’s valuation could change the available amount. “Clean financing” shouldn’t mean promising to cover any appraisal gap. You can present yourself as organised without waiving protection against a valuation that leaves you needing substantially more cash.
 
Repair credits can also complicate an otherwise modest negotiation. I’d avoid requesting one at the outset. Offer based on what you can currently see, inspect, and only revisit the price or credit if the findings are material and were not already obvious. Otherwise the seller may view the 2% reduction as merely the first of several deductions.
 
Work out the appraisal-gap scenarios in actual dollars before making the offer. If the valuation lands below your agreed price, decide now how much extra cash—if any—you could contribute and still retain funds for updates. That gives you a rational limit rather than forcing a decision after you have become emotionally committed.
 
Be especially careful about deposit exposure. The consequences can depend on the wording and stage of the Hong Kong transaction, so have the relevant terms reviewed locally before signing or paying anything substantial. Make sure the financing, valuation and inspection protections operate when you think they do; a contingency is not useful if it expires before the necessary work can be completed.
 
The 118 days tell you the asking price has not produced a completed sale, but they don’t prove the seller is motivated. They may be patient, constrained by another transaction or simply testing the market. Your completion flexibility is useful because it invites them to reveal what matters. I’d ask the agent whether timing or certainty would carry more weight than squeezing out the final percentage.
 
A clean structure could be: exact offered price; evidence that financing preparations are in place; a flexible but defined completion range; inspection and finance/valuation protections; and a response date that keeps the offer from remaining open indefinitely. Keep the rationale to a few sentences. If they counter at asking, ask what term—price, timing or certainty—is driving that position before moving.
 
Also decide your second number now. If HK$8,905,260 is only an opening, set the maximum you would pay after considering updates and a possible appraisal shortfall. Then a counteroffer becomes a planned decision rather than momentum. A 2% opening is unlikely to be the problem; unclear limits and casually waived protections are the bigger risks.
 
Back
Top