Offering 3% below asking on a condo in Nairobi — sensible or too aggressive

nia.voss

Homeowner
Established
We have until tomorrow to decide, and the choice is between making a credible offer and letting the time pressure weaken our protections. This Nairobi condo is listed at KES 98,680,000 after 66 days on the market. It also requires some updating, while the limited completed-sale evidence makes the fair value difficult to pin down.

My proposed opening is KES 95,719,600, which is 3% under asking. We can provide proof of financing and offer the seller a choice of completion dates, but I am unsure how much justification to include with the offer. Would the market uncertainty and condition be enough?

I also want inspection, financing and appraisal conditions to remain in place, with no ambiguity about when our deposit could be at risk. If defects emerge, I would reserve repair-credit requests for substantial problems rather than the cosmetic work already reflected in our price.
 
Three percent below is a defensible opening, not an insult, especially after 66 days. Keep the rationale short: uncertain completed-sale evidence, the updating required, and your ability to demonstrate financing and accommodate the seller’s timing. Avoid presenting a long list of faults.

I would retain inspection and financing protection and make sure the deposit consequences are clear before signing. A flexible completion date may matter more to the seller than squeezing out the last percentage point.
 
I have looked at the 66-day period, but it still tells us nothing about the seller’s actual circumstances. They may be waiting for a particular completion date, or they may already have turned down offers near this level. Finding out either would be more useful than assuming the listing age equals motivation.

The other issue is what happens after acceptance. If the inspection uncovers a major defect or the appraisal is low, keep the relevant protection and respond to that evidence. Cosmetic updating is different: seeking 3% off now and then requesting credits for every dated finish may look like a second attempt to reduce the price.

I would define that distinction before submitting the offer and confirm exactly when the deposit becomes exposed.
 
That is fair—the days alone do not establish motivation. I would submit the KES 95,719,600 offer with financing proof, a clear response deadline and two or three completion-date options. Keep inspection and financing conditions, and spell out what happens to the deposit if a condition is not met. If the seller counters near asking, the appraisal-gap exposure should determine your ceiling rather than the pressure of tonight’s deadline.
 
Back
Top