Offering 3% below asking on a villa in Austin — sensible or too aggressive

SimpleWall

Real estate agent
Established
Paying the full $845,000 feels premature; opening 3% lower risks focusing the seller on the discount rather than the strength of the offer. Neither option is comfortable when the Austin villa has already been listed for 105 days but the completed-sale evidence is limited.

I am considering $819,650, supported by proof of funds, organised financing and flexibility on completion. Should the explanation be limited to market time and the updating required, with a reasonable response deadline?

My dividing line is this: if the seller wants movement on price, I can reconsider the number or timing. If acceptance depends on weak inspection protection, an unlimited appraisal gap or unsafe deposit exposure, I would rather step back.
 
Three percent below doesn’t strike me as inherently aggressive after 105 days. Keep the explanation factual and short: time available, updating required and the limited completed-comparable evidence supporting the full asking price. Then emphasise financing proof and timing flexibility.

I would retain inspection protection and avoid an unlimited appraisal gap. Clean terms are useful; waiving protections you may need is a different thing.
 
Has the seller reduced the price during those 105 days, and do you know whether the villa is occupied? Those details could say more about motivation than the day count alone. Also, are the updates merely cosmetic or are there older systems involved? Asking-price comparables are weak evidence because they show seller expectations, not accepted values.
 
No reliable information on seller motivation yet, and I haven’t seen enough completed comparables to fill that gap. The updating is visible, but I don’t have proper costs, so I’m reluctant to attach a speculative renovation figure to the offer.

I’d prefer to present $819,650 as a supportable opening rather than submit a list of faults. I’ll ask about previous price changes and the seller’s preferred completion date before finalising the terms.
 
I’d actually avoid giving the 105 days much prominence. Sellers already know how long the property has been available, and treating it as a bargaining argument can sound more antagonistic than the number itself.

Submit the price with strong financing evidence and the flexible date. Keep inspection rights for defects you cannot assess now. If the visible updating is already reflected in your offer, don’t also imply that you expect a later credit for every cosmetic item.
 
A simple structure would be: purchase price, financing evidence, proposed deposit, inspection contingency, financing/appraisal terms, preferred completion window and a clear response deadline. A short covering note can say the offer reflects the villa’s present condition and the market evidence available to you.

The deadline should be long enough for a considered response but not open-ended. Have whoever is handling the Austin transaction explain exactly when the deposit becomes exposed and how each contingency must be exercised; wording and deadlines matter more than calling the offer “clean.”
 
The appraisal point could become more important than the 3% negotiation. If an appraisal comes in below the agreed price, decide in advance whether you would add cash, renegotiate or walk away under the contract terms. Don’t offer a large or unlimited gap merely to improve the presentation.

Likewise, check what happens to the deposit if financing fails after a deadline. Flexible completion is low-risk leverage; unbounded cash exposure is not.
 
Agreed with Carlos on setting the appraisal limit before submitting, although I wouldn’t overload the first offer with every possible scenario. Know your maximum privately, keep the written protections precise and make the seller respond to a credible $819,650 package.

If they counter near asking, ask for completed comparables supporting that position. You can then choose between price movement and preserving room for inspection-related credits. Reserve credits for meaningful findings, not the updating you already saw when setting the opening price.
 
Back
Top