Offering 3% below asking on an Atlanta detached home after 66 days

mae.lee

Real estate agent
The 66 days on market changed my view more than the asking price. This Atlanta detached home is listed at $695,000 and needs enough updating that I do not want to bid as though its condition is settled, especially with limited evidence from completed sales.

I’m considering opening 3% under the list price and supporting the offer with proof of financing and a completion date that suits the seller. I would rather keep the explanation brief than criticise the house, but I also need protection if the appraisal is low or the inspection uncovers costly work. Would you seek repair credits after inspection, or reflect the visible work in the opening price? I’m prepared to walk away, so I do not want stronger terms to put my deposit at unnecessary risk.
 
I also have no clear read on the seller’s motivation. Would a short response deadline help keep things moving, or just make an otherwise reasonable offer feel needlessly pressured? I’m particularly concerned about inspection findings, a low appraisal and exposing the deposit if a deadline is missed.
 
Three percent below after 66 days doesn’t strike me as aggressive. I’d avoid writing an essay defending it: submit the price, financing proof, flexible completion date and a reasonable response deadline. Asking-price comparisons are weak evidence, so let the clean terms support the offer.

I would retain inspection, financing and appraisal protection unless you have consciously budgeted for those risks.
 
What does “needs updating” mean here—finishes you already expect to replace, or items whose condition is still uncertain? That distinction matters. Known cosmetic work belongs in your initial price; unexpected defects discovered during inspection may support repair credits or another negotiation.

Before deciding, ask for the most relevant completed sales available, even if the comparison set is imperfect.
 
I’d add a caveat: 66 days doesn’t prove the seller is ready to discount. They may simply be holding firm, so prepare for a rejection or counter.

I also wouldn’t present the 3% as a list of complaints about the house. That can antagonise people more than the number itself. Make a straightforward offer and keep the inspection broad enough to reveal problems rather than trying to pre-negotiate every visible update.
 
Have whoever is communicating with the listing side ask what matters besides price: timing, certainty of financing, or something else. Your flexible completion date may be useful, but only if it matches the seller’s needs.

Use a response deadline that gives them a fair chance to consider the offer, not one designed as theatre. Deposit exposure depends heavily on the contract wording and whether notices are delivered on time, so have the relevant deadlines explained before signing.
 
Don’t ignore appraisal risk merely because the offer is below asking. If you would cover a gap, decide the maximum in advance and express it as a limit rather than an open-ended promise. If you wouldn’t cover one, keep the appraisal protection intact.

The same discipline applies after inspection: distinguish serious surprises from updates already reflected in your offer. Otherwise you risk negotiating the price twice for the same condition.
 
I’d set three numbers before submitting: the opening offer, the most you would pay based on the completed comparables and condition, and the most cash you could tolerate losing or tying up if something went wrong. Then make the 3%-below offer with financing proof, flexible timing, inspection and appraisal protection, plus clearly tracked deadlines. If the seller counters beyond your limit, the decision is already made rather than improvised under pressure.
 
Back
Top