Offering 4% below asking on a coastal home in Jakarta

jade_fable

Homeowner
I have checked current listings around this Jakarta coastal home, but reliable completed comparables are still the missing piece. The property is listed at IDR 18,340,000,000, has spent 65 days on the market and appears to require updating.

I am considering IDR 17,606,400,000 as an opening figure, which is 4% under asking. Financing evidence and flexibility on completion may strengthen it, but I do not want a long justification to irritate the seller. How briefly would you explain the price while keeping inspection and financing protection?

I also need to decide on a reasonable response period and how to deal with repair credits if the inspection finds more than visible cosmetic work. Appraisal-gap and deposit exposure are the risks I am least willing to leave vague.
 
Four percent does not sound inherently aggressive after 65 days, particularly if the property needs work. Keep the rationale short: limited completed-sale evidence, anticipated updating costs, and the certainty offered by your financing and flexible timing. Don’t submit a long list criticising the house.

I would retain inspection and financing contingencies. A sensible response deadline is useful, but avoid making it so short that it looks theatrical.
 
The flexible completion date may be more useful than the 65-day figure if timing is what matters to the seller. I would ask the agent about the seller’s preferred schedule and whether there were earlier negotiations before treating time on market as evidence of motivation.

The other question is what the updating actually involves. Finishes can be reflected in the opening price, while neglected maintenance or work needing approval could change the decision entirely. Clarify that before offering, then reserve any later repair discussion for significant inspection findings rather than items already visible.
 
I’d be cautious about anchoring everything to days on market. At this price, 65 days may not reveal much about motivation, and comparable asking prices only show what other sellers hope to receive.

Before offering, decide your maximum price and your maximum appraisal gap separately. Otherwise a counteroffer can pull you upward, only for the lender’s valuation to create another funding decision later.
 
There’s also a tactical choice on repairs. You could offer 4% below while making clear that the price assumes no major undisclosed defects, then use the inspection only for significant findings. Alternatively, offer closer to asking and request repair credits later, but that can feel like renegotiating if the visible condition was already reflected in your offer. I prefer putting known updating costs into the opening number.
 
Agreed on separating visible updating from inspection discoveries. I’d ask the seller or agent whether there are existing applications, approvals, quotations, or unresolved works connected with the planned updates. Don’t assume they transfer or remain valid; the position can depend on the property and local requirements.

Your written offer should also state when the deposit becomes exposed and what happens if financing or inspection conditions are not satisfied.
 
I disagree slightly with using a precise figure like IDR 17,606,400,000. It advertises that you simply deducted 4%, rather than valuing the home independently. A rounded figure near that level may feel more deliberate. The explanation can say it reflects condition, uncertain completed comparables, and your expected renovation budget—not that the seller’s asking price is wrong.
 
One more point: don’t combine a discounted price, broad repair-credit rights, a tiny deposit, and a very long contingency period unless those protections are genuinely necessary. The whole package matters. Strong financing proof, a realistic deposit under the proposed contract, flexible completion, and clearly limited contingencies can make a below-asking offer easier to accept without increasing the price.
 
Thanks all. I’m going to use a rounded opening figure around the 4%-below level rather than presenting it as a mechanical calculation. I’ll keep the explanation to condition, limited completed-sale evidence, financing readiness, and completion flexibility.

I’ll retain financing and inspection protection, define deposit exposure clearly, and reserve repair discussions for material issues rather than the visible updating. Before submitting, I’ll also ask about seller timing, earlier negotiations, and any applications or unresolved works.
 
Back
Top