Offering 6% below asking on a Jakarta duplex — sensible or too aggressive?

The 6% reduction feels defensible. My concern is agreeing to weaker protections simply because we have only one night to respond.

The Jakarta duplex is listed at IDR 16,380,000,000, has been on the market for 24 days and requires updating. Current listings nearby support the general price range, although there are too few closed comparables for me to judge the likely sale value or a possible appraisal gap with confidence.

We could support the lower offer with proof of finance and accommodate the seller’s preferred completion timing. How would you present the figure briefly without turning it into a criticism of the property? More importantly, which conditions would you retain even if the seller pushes back: inspection, finance, valuation, or another safeguard? The price can be negotiated again; accepting an unknown defect or funding shortfall would be harder to undo.
 
Six percent below is a credible opening, not an insult, provided you keep the explanation factual. Say the figure reflects the updating required and the limited evidence from completed comparables, then emphasise your financing proof and flexible timing. Don’t write a long critique of the property. I would keep inspection and financing protection rather than trade either away simply to make the price more attractive.
 
What is creating the one-night deadline: the seller, your own schedule, or a claimed competing buyer? That matters more than the 24 days online. Also, is your 6% reduction meant to cover visible updating only, or have you allowed for defects that an inspection might uncover? Avoid paying for the same work twice in your calculations—or assuming cosmetic work covers unknown structural or shared-system issues.
 
Good distinction. I’d make the initial offer about known condition, not speculative defects. If the inspection later finds something significant, that becomes a separate discussion: repair, credit, price adjustment, or withdrawal if the contract permits. Trying to preload every possible problem into the opening number can make the rationale sound artificial.
 
I’m less confident that 6% is automatically modest. Twenty-four days is not enough by itself to show seller pressure, especially when the available asking comparables are close. The offer may still be sensible, but decide your own ceiling before submitting it. Otherwise a quick counter can pull you from an evidence-based opening to the asking price through small emotional increments.
 
Also ask what the seller actually values besides price. A particular completion date, fewer administrative delays, or confidence that financing is ready may matter. Flexibility is useful only if it solves their problem; offering a vague “flexible date” without learning their preference gives away little leverage and adds little value.
 
I would not waive valuation protection if the purchase depends on lending. Similar asking prices do not guarantee that a valuation will support the agreed amount. Before signing, understand who covers any appraisal gap, whether you could fund it without touching money reserved for updates, and what happens to the deposit if financing or valuation fails. The exact contract treatment is jurisdiction-specific, so get that wording checked locally.
 
For a duplex, the inspection scope deserves attention. Confirm whether both parts, shared services, access areas and any common elements are included rather than assuming a standard inspection catches everything. I’d also want clarity on occupancy and whether any part is subject to an existing arrangement. Those facts could affect both timing and what “flexible completion” realistically means.
 
One tactical option is a short, clean offer note: amount, financing evidence, preferred or flexible completion, inspection condition, financing/valuation condition, deposit terms and a reasonable response time. Put the condition-based rationale in two sentences. Don’t send an itemised renovation wish list; sellers often hear that as an attempt to make them pay for your taste.
 
I’d resist setting an unnecessarily tight expiry just because you have one night to choose. A response deadline can prevent the offer drifting indefinitely, but it should allow the seller to consider it. More importantly, don’t let their deadline rush your inspection arrangements, funding confirmation or understanding of when the deposit becomes exposed.
 
Repair credits can be cleaner than asking the seller to complete work, but only after you know what the issue is and whether the credit is actually usable within your financing structure. For cosmetic updating, I’d rather reflect it in the initial price. For a material inspection finding, obtain a proper estimate and negotiate from that instead of naming a round number.
 
Completed comparables may be hard to verify from public-facing listings, so ask the people handling the transaction what evidence supports the price and whether they can identify genuinely comparable completed deals. Treat unsold asking prices as context, not proof. Differences in exact location, condition, configuration and title details can make two Jakarta duplex listings less comparable than they first appear.
 
Putting the thread together, the strongest offer is probably not the one with the fewest conditions. It is the one with clear financing proof, a deposit you can safely put at risk, practical timing and no ambiguous escape clauses. Keep the protections tied to real uncertainties. If the seller counters, ask what part they object to—price, conditions or timing—before improving all three.
 
And set three numbers tonight: the opening offer, the maximum supported by your budget and available evidence, and the maximum cash appraisal gap you would tolerate. Those are not necessarily the same figure. If you cannot establish them without relying on optimism about future repairs or valuation, letting the deadline pass may be the more disciplined decision.
 
Back
Top