Offering 6% below asking on a Lima retail unit

QuietCreek

First-time buyer
PEN 1,128,000 would put my opening offer 6% under the PEN 1,200,000 asking price. The unit has been listed for 71 days, needs updating and has already had one transaction fall through, but I am told the seller is not under pressure. Similar nearby listings support the asking level; the problem is the shortage of recorded completed deals.

I can show evidence of financing and accommodate the seller’s preferred timing. Would that make the discount credible without dwelling too heavily on defects? I am inclined to retain inspection, appraisal and financing conditions, but I am unsure how to handle the deposit and any credit for repairs. Would you set a response date, and which protections would you regard as non-negotiable?
 
The 6% opening doesn’t sound inherently antagonistic. Keep the explanation short: limited completed-sale evidence, the unit’s updating needs and the certainty you can offer through documented financing and flexible timing. I would not overload the offer with criticisms of the property.

Keep inspection and financing/appraisal protection unless you can comfortably absorb both undiscovered repairs and an appraisal gap. A reasonable response deadline is useful, but avoid making it feel like an ultimatum.
 
Can you find out why the earlier deal collapsed? That changes the risk considerably. If it was financing, your proof may be especially persuasive; if inspection or valuation caused it, the seller may already know about an issue. Also ask how the deposit is treated if financing, appraisal or inspection conditions fail—the wording and local practice in Peru matter more than the headline deposit amount.
 
I’d be cautious about leading with repair credits as well as a 6% discount. Without completed comparables or an inspection, that can look like negotiating the same uncertainty twice. Offer PEN 1,128,000 cleanly, retain the essential conditions, then use the inspection findings to request a specific credit if justified.

Before submitting, decide your maximum appraisal gap and total cash exposure, and have the deposit-release language checked locally. The seller’s motivation also matters: flexibility on completion only has value if it solves their timing problem.
 
Back
Top