Offering 6% below asking on a Singapore country home

gate.strong

Real estate agent
Established
Ninety days on the market makes a lower opening reasonable, but the lack of reliable closed-sale evidence concerns me. The Singapore country home is listed at S$824,100, needs updating, and nearby listings only show what other sellers hope to achieve.

I am considering starting 6% below the asking figure, supported by financing proof and a flexible completion date. That could give the seller more certainty, while paying nearer the list price would leave me carrying more of the valuation risk. How briefly should I explain the offer, and should I wait for the inspection before discussing repairs? I do not want to strengthen the bid by accepting unlimited financing, appraisal or deposit exposure.
 
To clarify, I’m not trying to justify the discount solely by saying it has sat for 90 days. My proposed rationale would be the limited completed-sale evidence, the updating required and the certainty I can offer. I could provide financing proof with the offer. I’m unsure whether to ask for repairs now or wait until an inspection identifies actual issues.
 
Six percent is not inherently insulting, especially after 90 days. Keep the explanation short and property-specific: your valuation reflects condition and the limited evidence from completed sales, while your financing and flexible completion reduce uncertainty for the seller. Add a clear but reasonable response deadline. I would keep inspection and financing protection rather than trading them away just to make the price look stronger.
 
The missing piece is seller motivation. Ninety days can mean an unrealistic price, but it can also mean the seller is perfectly willing to wait. Has the agent indicated whether completion timing matters or whether earlier offers failed? Also, comparable asking prices are weak support for a discount if those homes are in better or worse condition.
 
I’d be cautious about leading with a list of defects before inspection. That can sound like you want both a 6% reduction and another round of bargaining later. Either price the visible updating into the initial offer and reserve inspection rights for unknown problems, or offer closer to asking with a clearly defined route to repair credits. Trying both aggressively may harden the seller.
 
Financing proof helps, but “clean” should not mean accepting an unlimited appraisal gap or risking the deposit if the lender values the property lower. Before submitting, decide the maximum gap you could cover and have the offer wording checked for how financing, inspection and deposit release interact in Singapore. Give the seller a response deadline, but not one so tight that flexibility on completion becomes meaningless.
 
I’d submit the 6%-below figure without over-defending it. Include financing evidence, offer two workable completion windows, retain inspection and financing conditions, and state that the price already reflects the visible updating. If the seller counters, ask for any completed comparables supporting that counter before moving. The first offer matters less than knowing your walk-away price and deposit exposure before negotiations start.
 
Back
Top