Offering 6% below asking on a studio in Dubai — sensible or too aggressive?

green_garden

Property investor
The studio has been listed for only 10 days, so the choice is either to offer before the seller feels much pressure or wait for firmer evidence and accept that someone else may take it. The asking price is AED 1,615,000, and the unit appears to need some updating.

I am considering an opening offer of AED 1,518,100, which is 6% below asking. Nearby asking prices are available, but I have not found enough comparable completed sales to make that percentage feel automatic. I can provide proof of financing and be flexible on completion if either point is useful to the seller.

My current rule is to keep the 6% reduction if a proper updating estimate supports it; otherwise I will revise the number. A repair credit could be another route if the seller resists the lower price. How would you present that choice while retaining inspection protection and avoiding unnecessary exposure of the deposit?
 
Six percent below is not inherently aggressive, especially if updating is required. The bigger issue is that the listing is only 10 days old, so the seller may not yet feel pressure to move.

Keep the rationale short: limited completed-sale evidence, condition, and your certainty on financing and timing. Put it in writing with a clear response deadline. Don’t turn it into a critique of every finish in the studio.
 
Do you know anything about the seller’s motivation or preferred completion date? Flexibility only has value if it solves their problem.

I’d also estimate the updating cost before settling on 6%. Asking-price comparables don’t prove value, and a lender’s appraisal could create a gap even if the seller accepts your number.
 
Agreed on finding out what matters to the seller, although they may not disclose much. I would avoid offering AED 1,518,100 and simultaneously presenting a long repair-credit list. Make the initial price reflect the visible condition.

That said, visible updating and defects discovered during an inspection are different things. Keep inspection protection, and make sure the financing position and any valuation issue are addressed clearly rather than assumed.
 
I wouldn’t be absolute about avoiding repair credits. If the inspection uncovers something materially different from ordinary cosmetic updating, the buyer should still be able to renegotiate or walk away under the agreed terms.

The deposit wording matters just as much as the headline offer. Before signing, have the relevant Dubai transaction terms checked so you understand exactly when the deposit becomes exposed and what happens if financing or valuation fails.
 
One practical way to keep this calm is to separate the offer into two parts: price rationale and execution strength. Explain the lack of reliable completed comparables and the condition, then attach financing proof and offer completion flexibility. Give a reasonable but definite expiry rather than an open-ended bid.

I would not waive inspection protection or accept an undefined appraisal gap merely to make a 6%-below offer look cleaner.
 
Back
Top