Offering 8% below asking on a Bengaluru retail unit after 29 days

studyTheRoom

Homeowner
Established
The practical problem is that I cannot verify enough completed sales to support a precise value. The Bengaluru retail unit is asking ₹116,100,000, has been marketed for 29 days and needs updating, while the nearby figures I can find are mainly current listings.

I am thinking of offering 8% less, with financing proof and some flexibility on completion. The agent is creating urgency by saying another buyer may remove protections, but I would rather first establish what the seller values: maximum price, speed or certainty.

How would you sequence this? My preference is a short price explanation, a sensible response deadline and continued inspection protection. I also want clear limits on deposit and appraisal-gap exposure, with any later repair request reserved for genuinely unknown defects rather than the visible updating already reflected in my bid.
 
Eight percent below is not inherently aggressive when completed comparables are unclear and work is required. Keep the explanation short: the offer reflects available evidence, updating costs and financing risk, while your proof of funds and flexible completion make the terms stronger.

Set a reasonable response deadline, but avoid presenting it as an ultimatum. I would not waive inspection or basic legal and property due diligence merely because the agent says someone else might.
 
The missing fact is seller motivation. Are they seeking the highest number, a quick completion, or certainty? That may matter more than 29 days on the market.

Also decide before offering whether defects will support a later repair credit or whether your 8% discount already absorbs the visible updating. Trying to claim both for the same known work could irritate the seller. Unknown inspection findings are different.
 
I’d be slightly more cautious than mila about attaching too much rationale to the first offer. A detailed list of faults can invite an argument over each item. Submit a clear number, financing evidence, proposed completion range and only the essential contingencies.

Cap any appraisal-gap commitment rather than leaving it open-ended, and make the deposit consequences explicit before signing. For a Bengaluru retail unit, have the relevant local professionals verify title, permitted use, occupancy or tenancy issues and transaction terms. If the competing buyer is real and waives everything, losing to them may still be preferable to accepting risks you cannot price.
 
Back
Top