Offering 8% below asking on a new-build flat in Madrid — sensible or too aggressive?

BrightStone

First-time buyer
Established
If I pitch this badly, I could either lose the flat or take on more appraisal and repair risk than the discount justifies. It is a Madrid new-build listed at €906,200, on the market for 55 days, and some work still appears necessary. Similar nearby listings do not tell me what buyers have actually paid.

I am considering an opening offer 8% under the asking price, backed by proof of finance and flexibility on completion. I would keep the inspection and financing protections, particularly if the valuation comes in low. Should the work be handled through the price, a repair credit or completion before closing, and how long should the seller have to respond without leaving my deposit unnecessarily exposed?
 
Eight percent below is about €833,700, so I’d present it as a supported opening rather than a verdict on the property. Keep the explanation short: limited completed comparables, the updating required, and the risk that the lender’s valuation may not match the asking price. Attach financing proof and emphasise flexibility. I would retain inspection and financing protections, including a clear route to renegotiate or withdraw after a low appraisal.
 
What exactly does “needs updating” mean here? Cosmetic choices, unfinished items, or defects? That affects whether you request a lower price, a repair credit, or completion of work.

Also, is the seller the developer or a private owner reselling a new unit? Their motivation may be completely different. Fifty-five days alone doesn’t tell you whether they need a quick agreement or are content to wait.
 
I wouldn’t build the rationale around 55 days. In isolation that can sound like, “Nobody else wants it,” and may provoke the seller without proving the price is wrong. The lack of completed comparables is a reason for caution, but it is not evidence that 8% is the correct discount.

Make the offer clean and credible, but avoid pretending the number is more scientific than it is.
 
Freja’s question also matters for repair credits. If the work is subjective updating, the seller may reject a credit as simply reflecting the buyer’s taste. If there are identifiable unfinished or defective items, list them separately and leave room to resolve them after inspection. I’d give a short, reasonable response window, not an artificial same-day deadline; flexibility is part of the value you’re offering.
 
Before submitting, decide your walk-away price and how much appraisal gap, if any, you could cover. Then have the written terms checked locally before paying or exposing a deposit, especially the inspection, financing, valuation and refund provisions.

The offer itself can be simple: price, financing evidence, flexible completion, limited reasons for the discount, inspection access and an expiry time. Ask the agent what outcome matters most to the seller—price, timing or certainty—without increasing your offer before receiving a counter.
 
Back
Top