Offering 8% below asking on a Rio retail unit — sensible or too aggressive?

blueprint.solid

Real estate agent
Established
Verified Pro
We are torn between making a supported offer and keeping the explanation very simple, and we have only tonight to decide. The Rio de Janeiro retail unit is listed for R$2,772,000, has been on the market for 72 days and requires updating. Similar nearby units have comparable asking figures, although the lack of completed transactions makes the current value difficult to pin down.

Our proposed opening figure is R$2,550,240, or 8% under asking. We can provide evidence of financing and accommodate the seller’s preferred completion timing, if we can find out what that is. Would you tie the discount to the visible condition, or submit the number without a lengthy justification?

The harder issue is protection if an inspection reveals more work or the appraisal leaves a financing shortfall. We do not want the deposit exposed by giving up inspection, finance or valuation conditions. How would you balance those terms against a firm response deadline?
 
Eight percent is not inherently antagonistic. I would keep the explanation short: condition, uncertainty around completed comparables and the work still required. Then emphasise the strengths of the offer—financing proof and timing flexibility—without calling it “clean” if it remains conditional.

I would not waive inspection or expose the deposit if financing or appraisal fails under circumstances covered by the offer. The precise wording matters in Brazil, so have the local adviser handling the transaction confirm it.
 
Do you know what “needs updating” actually costs, even as a rough range? An 8% reduction based on identified work is easier to defend than 8% chosen because it feels negotiable. Also, has anyone asked whether the seller values a fast completion, a later one, or certainty more than price?
 
One other concern: financing proof does not solve an appraisal gap. Before offering, decide the maximum extra cash you could contribute if the lender values the unit below the agreed price. Otherwise the deposit terms become more important than the headline discount.
 
Getting the seller’s motivation wrong could lead either to paying more than necessary or to losing the unit over an unsupported assumption. Seventy-two days does not reveal which outcome is more likely, and nearby asking figures are weak evidence because those properties may also be overpriced.

I would use a simple rule. If R$2,550,240 is what the unit is worth to you in its present condition, submit it with financing evidence and a clear response deadline, without trying to prove the seller’s price is mistaken. If the figure only works because you expect the seller to be under pressure, first ask what timing or certainty the seller values and be prepared to revise or walk away. A long criticism of the property will not make an uncertain valuation stronger.
 
Separate price from repairs. Offer R$2,550,240 based on the unit’s present condition, retain the inspection protection, and only request a repair credit later if the inspection uncovers something beyond the visible updating already reflected in your figure. Asking for 8% off and then seeking credit for the same known work can look like renegotiating twice.

Your flexible completion date has value only if it matches the seller’s needs, so ask that question before presenting it as a concession.
 
Agreed on avoiding double counting. I’d also set the deposit at an amount you can tolerate having tied up, while making release or loss depend on clearly written events rather than assumptions. The exact mechanism is jurisdiction-specific, but inspection, financing and appraisal should each be addressed expressly if all three matter to the buyer.
 
With only one night, decide three numbers before sending anything: the opening figure, the highest price you would accept after a counter, and the appraisal gap you could fund without strain. That prevents the deadline from pushing you into improvising.

Give the seller a reasonable but definite response period. If they reject 8% below asking, you can still move, but your financing and inspection protections should not become bargaining chips merely to rescue the deal.
 
Back
Top