Offering 8% below asking on student housing in Delhi — sensible or too aggressive?

StillPorch

Real estate agent
Established
I’m looking at a student housing property in Delhi listed for ₹44,260,000. It has been available for 38 days and needs some updating. Nearby asking prices are similar, but I can’t verify enough completed sales to know the actual clearing price.

An 8% reduction would put my opening offer at ₹40,719,200. I can provide financing proof and be flexible on completion. How would you explain the discount without antagonising the seller? I’m also reluctant to waive inspection or financing protection, particularly if the valuation comes in low.
 
Eight percent is a defensible opening, not an absurd one, provided the offer reads as considered rather than opportunistic. Keep the explanation brief: limited completed comparable evidence, the updating required, and uncertainty over valuation. Include financing proof and your flexible timing. Give a clear but reasonable response deadline so it does not sit open indefinitely.
 
Before debating the percentage, is this being valued mainly as real estate or as an operating student-housing asset? Existing occupancy, income, running costs and any arrangements affecting possession could matter more than cosmetic updating. I would ask for that information first. Otherwise you may be negotiating from residential asking prices that are not truly comparable.
 
I wouldn’t put much weight on 38 days alone. That may indicate seller flexibility, but it may equally mean nothing if the seller is willing to wait. Also, asking-price comparables only show what other owners hope to receive.

I’d submit the ₹40,719,200 offer cleanly, but keep inspection, title/legal due diligence and financing conditions. If the seller counters, then ask what matters more to them: price, completion timing or certainty.
 
One caution: don’t use every defect both to justify the 8% reduction and later demand full repair credits. That can feel like negotiating the same issue twice. Separate visible updating already reflected in your price from material problems discovered during inspection. For the latter, reserve the right to seek a credit, renegotiate or withdraw under the agreed terms.
 
That distinction helps. I’ll frame the opening around valuation uncertainty and the known updating, rather than producing a long fault list. I also need more information on occupancy and operating costs before deciding whether the nearby listings are meaningful.

My main concern now is an appraisal gap. Financing is arranged in principle, but I don’t want the deposit exposed if the lender’s valuation is below the agreed price.
 
Then “clean financing” should mean strong evidence and prompt cooperation, not waiving the financing condition. Spell out what happens if the valuation is low: can you renegotiate, contribute only up to a stated amount, or exit? The deposit terms must align with that protection. Because the consequences depend on the contract and local practice in Delhi, have the wording checked locally before signing.
 
Agreed, although too many open-ended conditions can make an 8%-below offer easy to reject. You could make the process tighter without surrendering protection: financing proof with the offer, a defined inspection period, quick access for valuation, and a definite completion window that still accommodates the seller. Ask the agent directly whether timing or another non-price issue is motivating the sale.
 
I’d also avoid presenting ₹40,719,200 as a precise calculation that must be correct. It is simply an opening position given incomplete completed-sales evidence. State the amount, the reasons, the protections, and the expiry time. If they counter, compare the extra price with the likely updating cost and any appraisal shortfall rather than negotiating only around the headline discount.
 
Back
Top