Offering 9% below asking on a Barcelona warehouse after 96 days

AriRiver

Property investor
Founding Member
Offering close to €694,600 feels difficult to justify, but opening 9% lower without solid completed sales also feels exposed. The Barcelona warehouse has been listed for 96 days and requires updating, while the nearby evidence I can find consists mainly of asking prices rather than settled deals.

I could support the bid with financing proof and accommodate the seller’s preferred completion timing. Would a short explanation based on condition and limited comparable evidence be enough, or should I first establish the likely cost of the work? I intend to keep inspection and financing conditions because repairs, a low appraisal and deposit exposure could all matter. I would also appreciate views on setting a response deadline that is useful without being needlessly confrontational.
 
Nine per cent below is not inherently antagonistic. Keep the explanation short: condition, time on market and limited evidence from completed comparables. Don’t present every defect as an accusation. Pair the price with financing proof and your flexible timing, then give a reasonable written deadline so the offer does not remain open indefinitely. I would keep both inspection and financing protection.
 
What does “needs updating” mean for a warehouse—cosmetic finishes, services, roof, access, or something more substantial? That distinction matters more than the percentage. I’d also ask the agent what completion timing the seller prefers and whether price or certainty is their priority. Seller motivation may give you a stronger rationale than 96 days alone.
 
The seller may see 96 days as normal for a warehouse, which makes me hesitant to use time on market as the main argument for a 9% reduction. A narrower buyer pool can produce a long listing even when the owner has little appetite to move on price.

I would still submit the offer and allow for a counter, but base the figure on identifiable condition issues and whatever completed evidence is available. Before sending it, ask what timing and certainty the seller values most. Keep the inspection condition intact; if it later reveals a major defect that was not visible, you can then decide whether to withdraw or seek a credit.
 
Agreed on separating condition from negotiation tactics. If the initial 9% reduction already assumes the visible updating, asking for repair credits for those same items later may look like double counting. Reserve any credit request for significant issues uncovered during inspection, and state that the offer is based only on the condition currently observable.
 
Before submitting, set three figures for yourself: the opening offer, the most you would pay, and the maximum appraisal gap you could cover without jeopardising financing. Then make the response deadline, inspection rights, financing condition and deposit consequences explicit in writing. The treatment of deposits and withdrawal rights depends on the agreement and local circumstances, so have the wording checked in Barcelona before transferring money. A clean offer should mean clear terms, not waived protection.
 
Back
Top