Offering 9% below asking on a Brussels duplex — sensible or too aggressive?

friendly_kite

Seller
Established
Opening 9% under the €1,237,000 asking price may create room to negotiate, but starting closer to the listing risks paying more than the limited sales evidence supports. Neither option feels comfortable for this Brussels duplex, which has been listed for 49 days and needs updating.

My current plan is a conditional offer supported by financing proof and flexible timing, with a short explanation based on the visible work and the lack of strong completed comparables. I would keep the financing and inspection protections rather than trade them away for a better reception.

Would you set the initial figure first and leave repair credits for genuine inspection findings? I also need to decide on a reasonable response period and understand how an appraisal shortfall could affect the deposit before submitting anything.
 
Make the offer about the property rather than the seller’s pricing judgment: limited evidence from completed comparables, the updating required, and the certainty offered by your financing proof and flexible timing. Keep the explanation short and set a clear but reasonable response deadline.

I would not waive inspection protection merely to make a 9%-below offer look stronger. Financing and appraisal wording also matter if you cannot comfortably cover a valuation shortfall yourself.
 
I’d be careful about leaning heavily on the 49 days. It may indicate flexibility, but it could equally mean the seller is prepared to wait. Before choosing the exact number, can the agent say anything useful about seller motivation or previous offers?

Also, don’t combine a large opening discount with an advance demand for repair credits. Offer based on the visible condition, then use the inspection to address material surprises. Have the Belgian contract terms checked so you understand when the deposit is exposed and exactly how the financing and inspection conditions operate.
 
Back
Top