Offering 9% below asking on a Warsaw studio listed at PLN 4,384,000

bea_rates

First-time buyer
I can start at PLN 3,989,440 and risk being dismissed, or move closer to the PLN 4,384,000 asking price without reliable evidence that the studio merits it. Neither option sits well when it has already been listed for 77 days and clearly requires work.

The proposed opening figure is 9% under asking. I can show the seller that funding is credible and work around their preferred completion timing, but I want to retain inspection and finance conditions. How much reasoning should accompany the price when the local evidence is mostly other listings rather than confirmed transactions?

I am also considering whether repair credits should wait for inspection, how long to allow for a response, and how much cash I could cover if the valuation falls short. The deposit exposure worries me more than receiving an unfavourable counteroffer.
 
Nine percent below is not inherently insulting after 77 days, especially if updating is required. Keep the rationale short: limited completed-sale evidence, visible condition and your ability to proceed cleanly. Don’t present a long list of faults as though you are prosecuting the flat. Give a firm but reasonable response deadline and let the seller counter.
 
Before deciding on the contingencies, what does “clean financing” mean here? A lender’s initial indication is different from funds being fully approved against this property. At this price, an appraisal gap could be much more important than the percentage discount. I would want to know the maximum cash shortfall you could cover without putting the deposit at risk.
 
I’d be cautious about using the 77 days as strong leverage. Time listed can indicate weak demand, but it can also mean the seller is patient and has no need to accept less. Ask the agent whether there have been previous offers, why they failed, and whether the seller values timing or certainty more than headline price. The answers may help you tailor the terms.
 
I disagree slightly with making repair costs central to the initial offer. If the updating is obvious, it may already be reflected in the asking price, and estimated renovation costs are personal rather than market evidence. Offer what the property is worth to you, retain an inspection condition, then seek a credit only if the inspection identifies a material issue you could not reasonably see beforehand.
 
The point at which the deposit becomes vulnerable would drive my choice. A rejected offer or a later price adjustment is reversible; signing terms that leave you exposed after a low valuation, failed finance or an unsatisfactory inspection may not be.

I would keep those protections and have the proposed Polish contract checked locally before committing. Ask for the relevant clauses to spell out the trigger dates, refund conditions and consequences of each failure scenario. That gives you actual wording to assess rather than relying on the offer being described as “clean” or conditional.
 
A practical structure could be: price first, evidence of financing second, flexible completion third, then a small number of clearly drafted conditions. Avoid an artificially short deadline; one or two working days may be interpreted very differently depending on when the seller and advisers can respond. The aim is to stop the offer drifting, not pressure them into rejecting it.
 
One more point on completed comparables: if none are verifiable, don’t imply that nearby asking prices prove your offer. They only show what other sellers hope to receive. You can simply say the uncertainty is part of why you are starting at PLN 3,989,440. Decide your ceiling and appraisal-gap limit before submitting, because a quick counteroffer can otherwise pull you above both.
 
Back
Top