Offering 9% below asking on a Warsaw villa after 68 days

Nine percent is the discount I am considering on a Warsaw villa listed at PLN 4,187,000 for 68 days. That would put the offer near PLN 3.81m. The property requires work, but I would rather support the number with the limited completed comparables and overall renovation risk than price every dated item separately.

I can provide financing evidence and accommodate the seller’s preferred completion date. I would keep protection for financing failure, an appraisal shortfall and any costly issue uncovered during inspections; repair credits could deal with a specific defect rather than reopening the whole price.

Does that sound firm but credible? I am also unsure how long a response deadline to set without making the offer feel artificial.
 
Nine percent below is not inherently antagonistic. Present it as the price at which you can proceed, supported by the updating required and uncertainty around completed comparables. Avoid assigning a price to every worn surface.

Attach credible financing proof, state your flexibility on completion and keep the tone short. The seller can reject or counter; you do not need to apologise for the number.
 
Before choosing 9%, I’d ask whether the listing price has already been reduced and whether the seller rejected previous offers. Also, is the villa occupied, vacant or tied to a preferred moving date? Those answers may matter more than 68 days on the market. Flexibility is only valuable if it solves the seller’s actual timing problem.
 
I’m less convinced that 68 days supports a discount by itself. A villa at this price can have a smaller buyer pool and naturally take longer to sell. Nearby asking prices also tell you what sellers hope for, not what buyers paid.

Offer PLN 3.81m if that is your valuation, but don’t pretend the days-on-market figure proves it.
 
I would make one clean written proposal: price, financing evidence, proposed deposit, inspection condition, financing/appraisal condition, completion window and a reasonable response deadline. The deadline should prevent the offer drifting while the seller shops it around, not create artificial pressure.

If they counter, you can then ask whether movement on price or certainty of completion matters more to them.
 
For the inspection, define the expensive unknowns rather than requesting a general escape route over cosmetic items. Structure, roof, moisture, heating and major electrical or plumbing problems are the obvious categories to investigate in a villa. You could agree that ordinary updating is reflected in your offer while retaining the right to renegotiate or withdraw if a major undisclosed issue appears.
 
Be careful calling the financing “clean” if you still need an appraisal and lender approval. That is normal, but the wording should be accurate. Decide in advance what happens if the appraisal is below the agreed price: maximum extra cash you would contribute, a renegotiation right, or an exit. Otherwise a successful negotiation can leave you exposed to a gap you never budgeted for.
 
Nadia’s point about motivation is important, although I would ask through the agent without expecting a full explanation. A seller who wants a particular completion date may value your flexibility; one testing an ambitious price may simply wait.

I also wouldn’t lead with repair credits. On a substantial unknown, a lower price or withdrawal is usually clearer than debating an estimated repair bill before the scope is known.
 
One issue not yet covered is deposit exposure. Before paying anything, have the proposed deposit terms and every exit condition reviewed by someone familiar with Polish property transactions. Make sure the written agreement matches the inspection, financing and appraisal protections you think you have. The label used in conversation matters less than what the signed terms actually require if the purchase does not complete.
 
The sensible sequence seems to be: seek any available completed-sale evidence, ask about reductions and timing, submit roughly PLN 3.81m with financing proof, and offer a completion window that genuinely works for you. Keep inspection protection for major systems and structure, plus clear appraisal and financing terms. Set a calm response deadline. If the seller counters, compare the new price with your own ceiling rather than negotiating merely to “win.”
 
Back
Top