Offering 9% below asking on student housing in Warsaw

hana.shaw

Real estate agent
I would like to buy it at a price that leaves room for the updating, but the lack of reliable completed comparables makes that difficult to defend.

This is student housing in Warsaw advertised at PLN 3,733,000. It has spent 103 days on the market, and I am prepared to walk away rather than absorb poorly defined costs. I am considering an opening offer 9% under the asking price, with financing organised and some choice over the completion date.

How would you present the supporting reasons without turning the offer into a criticism of the property? I also intend to retain inspection and financing conditions, including protection if the appraisal is below the agreed price. Should the offer include a firm response deadline?
 
A 9% reduction is not inherently aggressive after 103 days. I would keep the explanation short: limited evidence from completed sales, the updating required, and your ability to proceed with financing already organised. Do not give the seller a long critique of the property.

Include a reasonable response deadline so the offer cannot sit indefinitely while being used to attract another buyer.
 
Also, separate price from certainty. Evidence of funds or financing readiness can make a lower offer more credible, but it should not mean waiving the financing condition. State the proposed price, completion flexibility and contingencies as distinct terms.
 
What does “needs updating” cover? Worn finishes are different from building systems, fire-safety work or changes needed for the student rooms. Before deciding whether 9% is enough, I would want estimates for the larger uncertain items and clarity on whether the property is being valued mainly as accommodation or as an operating rental business.
 
I would also be careful about reading too much into 103 days. It may indicate seller motivation, but it could equally mean the owner is willing to wait. Asking the agent why the property is being sold, whether there have been previous offers and what matters besides price may reveal more than the listing period alone.
 
Agreed that time listed does not prove distress. The offer can still test motivation without pretending it does. At roughly PLN 3.397 million, the buyer should be prepared for a counter and decide in advance how far to move. Otherwise the discussion tends to become a series of small increases unsupported by better information.
 
I would not waive inspection, financing or an appraisal-related exit merely to make the 9% opening look cleaner. The exact wording and treatment of the deposit depend on the Polish contract, so have a local adviser make clear when the deposit is exposed and what happens if financing or valuation fails.

For inspection findings, preserve the ability to withdraw or renegotiate rather than promising in advance to accept everything.
 
I disagree slightly on leading with possible repair credits. If the opening price already reflects visible updating, asking for another reduction for those same items later can look like double counting. Reserve credits or a further adjustment for material defects that were not reasonably visible when the offer was made. That distinction should be written down clearly.
 
A simple offer structure would be: price, evidence of financing readiness, preferred and alternative completion dates, inspection and financing conditions, treatment of a low appraisal, deposit terms, then an expiry time. Attach only the strongest completed comparables you can verify. Weak comparables may hurt the argument more than saying transaction evidence is limited.
 
Before submitting, decide three numbers: the opening offer, the highest price you would accept with no new information, and the revised maximum if inspection identifies measurable work. Also decide how much appraisal gap, if any, you could fund without putting the rest of the project under pressure. That preparation matters more than whether the first offer is exactly 9% below.
 
Back
Top