Older Sydney detached home: add a sewer scope?

loft.balanced

First-time buyer
Established
The general inspection is booked, which leaves one unresolved question: is a separate sewer scope worthwhile for this older 120 m² Sydney house? The standard inspection will not cover the private line, and mature trees stand near the street. I have also received an A$54,720 full-replacement estimate, although I do not yet know what route or damage that figure assumes.

There are no known drainage symptoms. Even so, the scope is modest compared with the potential exposure. Before ordering it, I would want to confirm access, how much of the line can be viewed and whether footage is included. I also need to retain cash for moving, the first mortgage payment, early repairs and an insurance excess. What else would you check?
 
I would add it, mainly because age and nearby trees create a question the general inspection will not answer. First ask what the scope fee includes: how much of the line can be reached, whether you receive footage and written findings, and what happens if there is no suitable access. I’d also ask what assumptions produced that A$54,720 figure.
 
That is the gap I noticed—the replacement estimate is a big number, but I don’t yet know what condition or route it assumes. I’ll ask for the scope inclusions and whether the whole private section can actually be viewed. I’m also asking about any known blockage or repair history. Furniture can wait; I’d rather keep that money available until the inspection findings are clear.
 
I’d push back slightly: don’t let an undiagnosed replacement estimate anchor the decision. Were there any slow drains, smells or other warning signs during viewings? A scope can still be sensible without symptoms, but only if access allows a useful inspection rather than a short, inconclusive look.
 
No symptoms would be reassuring, not conclusive. If you proceed, ask the operator to state where the inspection started and ended, note any section they could not see, and identify the location of anything concerning. Also verify where the private line ends and responsibility changes; that can depend on the particular connection and jurisdiction.

If something appears on the footage, separate the options into monitoring, local repair and full replacement rather than jumping straight to the largest quote.
 
The budgeting point matters too. I would not reserve A$54,720 as though replacement were confirmed, but I also would not spend the remaining buffer on furniture immediately after moving. List confirmed immediate repairs first, then moving costs, service charges, the first mortgage payment and the insurance excess. Keep hypothetical sewer work in a separate contingency until the scope or other evidence changes it.
 
My sequence would be: clarify access and deliverables, obtain any available drainage history, then pay for the scope if it can cover a meaningful length. If it finds a problem, get the location and severity explained before seeking repair prices. If it finds nothing but has major viewing limitations, treat that as an unanswered question—not a clean result—and decide whether your emergency fund can carry that uncertainty.
 
Back
Top