Opening 3% under asking on a Delhi studio after 70 days

emery_leases

First-time buyer
Established
Seventy days on the market suggests there may be room to negotiate. My concern is that I have too little completed-sale evidence to judge a Delhi studio listed at ₹93,940,000, especially as it requires updating.

I’m thinking of starting 3% below the asking price. Financing is in place and the completion date can be adjusted to suit the seller, but I do not want those strengths undermined by an appraisal shortfall or unclear deposit terms. Would you lead with the limited comparable evidence and renovation needs, or first ask the agent what is motivating the sale? I intend to keep both inspection and financing protection in the written offer.
 
Three per cent below does not sound inherently aggressive, particularly after 70 days. Keep the rationale factual: limited evidence from completed comparables, the updating required, and your ability to offer financing proof plus a completion date that suits the seller. Avoid presenting it as a list of faults. I would not waive inspection or financing protection merely to make a modest discount more attractive.
 
The missing piece is seller motivation. Has the agent indicated whether timing, certainty or price matters most? Also give the offer a clear but reasonable response deadline rather than leaving it open-ended. Before paying any deposit, make sure the written terms state what happens if financing, valuation or inspection does not work out; the precise effect depends on the contract and local requirements.
 
That helps. I’ll ask what completion timing the seller prefers and whether there have been earlier offers, without expecting the agent to disclose details. I’ll support the 3% reduction with the lack of reliable completed comparables and the visible updating, then attach financing proof. I’ll keep the response deadline calm rather than using a same-day ultimatum, and I won’t waive inspection or financing.
 
I’d be cautious about leaning too heavily on the 70 days. It may signal flexibility, but it does not prove the seller will accept less, especially if the asking comparables are close. Decide before offering how you would handle an appraisal gap and whether you prefer a lower price or repair credits after inspection. Most importantly, cap the deposit exposure clearly and have the contingency wording checked for the Delhi transaction rather than relying on informal assurances.
 
Back
Top