Opening 7% below asking on Lyon student housing

mapsAndBench

First-time buyer
We’re looking at student housing in Lyon listed for €423,200. It has been available for 62 days and needs updating, but nearby asking prices are broadly similar and I cannot find enough completed sales to establish the real market level.

Our financing is solid and we can be flexible on completion. I’m considering opening 7% below asking—€393,576—with a brief explanation based on condition and the limited evidence from completed comparables. How can I present that without antagonising the seller? I also do not want to waive inspection or financing protection. Anything else, particularly around deposit exposure or an appraisal gap, that should remain conditional?
 
The figure itself is not insulting if the presentation is calm. I’d avoid saying the property is overpriced. State the offer, note the updating required, attach whatever financing proof you are comfortable providing, and emphasise the flexible completion date. Give a clear but reasonable response deadline so it does not sit indefinitely. Keep inspection and financing conditions; those protect against risks that a friendly seller cannot remove.
 
Is it vacant, or already occupied under some kind of student tenancy or management arrangement? That missing fact could matter more than the 62 days. I’d also ask the agent why the seller is moving and whether there have been previous offers. Time on the market alone does not prove motivation.
 
I’d be cautious about using both the full 7% reduction and a later request for broad repair credits. The seller may see that as negotiating the same condition twice. Identify visible updating in the initial rationale, but reserve inspection-related discussion for genuinely unknown issues.

Also, comparable asking prices are weak support because they show seller expectations, not completed values. If financing depends on valuation, don’t promise in advance to cover an unlimited appraisal gap.
 
Before sending anything, decide three numbers: the opening offer, your real ceiling, and the maximum valuation shortfall you could cover without disrupting the purchase. Then have the offer wording checked locally so you understand when it becomes binding, when any deposit is exposed, and exactly how the financing and inspection conditions operate in France.

If the seller counters, the flexible completion date may be worth more to them than a small price increase. Ask which term matters rather than automatically splitting the difference.
 
Back
Top