Osaka inventory shifted in March 2026 — are buyers becoming more selective?

lena.voss

First-time buyer
Established
Calling this an Osaka-wide change too early could confuse a shift in the property mix with a shift in buyer behaviour. In March 2026, well-presented villas appear to move in about 76 days, while dated properties take more time, and the visible difference between price measures is around 3.2%.

The problem is that I do not know whether the comparison uses original asks, final asks or matched completed sales. If similar homes in the same neighbourhood show the condition split, I would take buyer selectivity seriously. If the figures combine regions, source dates and property types, I would treat it as mix distortion.

Does anyone have the sample size, transaction volume and publication date behind comparable observations?
 
My first assumption would be selectivity rather than a broad decline, but 76 days alone cannot establish that. If renovated and dated homes are being compared across different neighbourhoods or price bands, the mix could create both the marketing-time difference and the 3.2% gap. Was that gap calculated from original asking prices, final asking prices, or only matched completed transactions?
 
The source date matters too. March figures can combine deals negotiated earlier with newly listed inventory, so the two sides may not describe the same moment. I would want several prior months calculated on the same basis before calling it a shift. Also, were withdrawn or relisted properties excluded? Those can make time on market look cleaner than it really is.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss 76 days as mere noise. If homes needing work are consistently sitting longer within the same local area and price bracket, that is useful evidence of buyer preference even before a longer trend appears. The weakness here is treating Osaka as one market. Neighbourhood-level volume may be thin, but citywide aggregation can hide the variation the opening post is trying to identify.
 
The matched-table idea makes sense, though I would hesitate to compare medians until the properties are split into genuinely similar groups. For each one, record the neighbourhood, condition, first listing date, original and final ask, completion price and completion date.

Publication timing is the harder issue to undo later, so save the source date and any revisions when the figure first appears. If a policy change occurred during the period, mark the date; do not treat coincidence as proof that it produced the 3.2% movement.
 
Kai’s revision point is important. I’d also split the March 2026 sample into listings newly introduced that month and older stock finally completing. That would help answer Amelia’s question about which asking price produced the 3.2% figure. Until the sample size and completed-transaction count are known, I’d describe this as an early sign of condition-sensitive demand, not yet an Osaka-wide trend.
 
Back
Top