Oslo inventory shifted in April 2026 — seasonal bump or buyer selectivity?

kai.miles

Real estate agent
I’m tracking Oslo because I may buy, but April 2026 has left me unsure whether to act or wait. There are more listings, yet relatively few I would actually consider. In my sample, well-presented serviced apartments are moving in roughly 105 days, while homes needing work remain available longer. I’m also seeing what looks like a 2.6% gap between asking prices and completed deals.

Does this suggest buyers are becoming more selective, or is it ordinary seasonal noise? Completed transactions and neighbourhood-level observations would be more useful than citywide headlines. I’m particularly interested in whether transaction volume has changed alongside inventory.
 
My early answer would be “possibly, but your figures don’t establish it yet.” Asking-to-sold gaps are heavily affected by which properties complete, while current inventory includes a different mix. Also, what does 105 days measure: first advertisement to accepted bid, removal of the listing, or registered completion? Those dates can produce very different conclusions.
 
How large is your sample, and which Oslo neighbourhoods does it cover? A handful of serviced apartments could distort the result, especially if several are similar units. There is also a timing issue: deals shown as completed in April may reflect marketing and bidding from earlier months, and recently published figures may later be revised. I’d record the date each number was retrieved.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss the pattern entirely just because the samples aren’t perfectly matched. More choice combined with renovated properties moving ahead of homes needing work can be a real sign that buyers are less willing to absorb renovation risk or uncertain costs.

The caveat is that serviced apartments are too specific a segment to represent Oslo property generally. The same pattern may not appear across ordinary flats or family homes, and neighbourhood variation could overwhelm a citywide 2.6% figure.
 
A practical next step is to build separate cohorts by neighbourhood, property type, size and condition. For each listing, keep the initial ask, any reduced ask, accepted or sold price, first listing date and completion date. Then compare transaction counts as well as discounts; a wider gap on very low volume is less persuasive.

I’d also mark any policy or lending-timing events without assuming they caused the change. After several more weeks, compare April with the same period in prior years if consistent data are available.
 
One more caution: the 105-day figure itself means much of that cohort entered the market before April 2026, so it cannot cleanly describe an April shift. I’d keep April inventory as one series and follow newly listed April properties as another. Revisit them after six to eight weeks, including withdrawn and relisted homes, and preserve earlier versions of the data rather than overwriting them. That should separate seasonal inflow from a genuine change in buyer behaviour.
 
Back
Top