Oslo villa at 4.1% gross yield — what am I missing?

page.friendly

Developer
I need to decide whether to keep analysing this after 52 days or drop it before spending more time on checks. The attraction is a 3-bed Oslo villa at NOK 2,782,000 with expected rent of NOK 9,534 a month; the problem is that the resulting gross yield is only about 4.1%.

I have allowed separately for empty periods, management, ordinary upkeep and major future repairs, without assuming appreciation. What could change the outcome is financing sensitivity or an energy issue rather than a small adjustment to routine expenses. I still need firmer figures for insurance, municipal charges, tenant-paid utilities and the condition of the heating system, windows and insulation.

Would you model one vacant month and a higher borrowing-cost case together, or treat them as separate stress tests? I am less interested in naming an ideal net yield than in finding the assumption that turns cash flow negative.
 
At 4.1% gross, heating and energy-related work would be my first concern, especially if the villa is inefficient. Clarify which utilities the tenant pays and inspect the history and condition of insulation, windows and heating equipment. Insurance and recurring municipal charges also need their own lines rather than being buried in maintenance. The gross margin is too narrow for vague estimates.
 
Is NOK 2,782,000 your complete acquisition basis, or only the agreed price? Also, are you buying with debt? Financing sensitivity could matter more than shaving a little from management costs. I’d model the actual loan terms, a higher-rate case, one empty month and tenant turnover costs together. If that produces negative cash flow, the 4.1% headline figure is not doing much work.
 
I wouldn’t set a universal target net yield here. A well-located, low-maintenance property can justify less than a villa needing frequent work, but I disagree that energy is automatically the biggest unknown. A single exterior, roof or drainage job can outweigh several years of utility differences. The repair reserve should come from the villa’s actual condition, not a standard percentage.
 
Before deciding, turn the uncertainties into three cases: expected, one tenant change plus vacancy, and a major repair combined with higher financing cost. Obtain the energy information, insurance quote, municipal charge details and a condition-focused inspection, then recalculate net cash flow without appreciation. If the deal only survives because every cost lands in the expected case, 4.1% gross offers very little room for error.
 
Back
Top