Paris 115 m² villa at €993,600: valuing with only one completed comparable

woodworksAndRoute

Property investor
Established
Three comparisons initially made the evidence look respectable. Then I found that all three were still being marketed, leaving only one completed transaction against which to judge the villa.

The Paris property has three bedrooms, measures about 115 m² and is offered at €993,600. I like its light and setting, but the finishes are dated and its overall condition appears average. With such a thin sample, a precise square-metre valuation would suggest more certainty than the evidence supports.

Would you first establish whether the sold property matches on micro-location, layout and outdoor space, then cost the condition difference? Or would the area difference need addressing before renovation? I also have to check for recurring service charges and any costs associated with vacancy.

My current decision rule is simple: if the completed sale is genuinely close on the hard-to-change features, I will use it as the main reference and adjust for condition. If its setting or configuration differs materially, I will work with a broad range until I obtain a local appraisal. Which missing fact would determine that choice for you?
 
The ask works out at €8,640 per m², but I wouldn’t apply that rate mechanically. Start with the completed sale and adjust it for micro-location, outdoor space and parking before condition. For dated finishes, use estimated work costs plus an allowance for disruption rather than an unsupported percentage discount.
 
Micro-location is the biggest missing fact for me. In Paris, “same area” may still hide a materially different setting. How close is the completed sale, and does it have comparable light, noise exposure and access? I’d also want to know whether both properties have genuinely comparable outdoor space.
 
I’d be cautious about subtracting the full renovation budget. A buyer may dislike the finishes, but some dated items remain usable, and the completed comparable could also have needed work. Grade each major element consistently rather than treating “average condition” as one blanket deduction.
 
That helps. I don’t yet have confirmed details for parking, outdoor space, service charges or the precise tenure structure, so I’m going back to the agent for those. I’ll also map the completed sale more closely rather than relying on the broad Paris label. The three active listings will stay as context, not proof of achieved value.
 
Ask for measured floor area on the same basis for every property. A nominal 115 m² is not very useful if one comparable includes space that the others exclude. I’d adjust only after confirming that the figures describe equivalent usable accommodation.
 
Also compare layout, not just total area. A well-planned 115 m² three-bed can be more appealing than a larger property with circulation space or awkward rooms. Floor-area adjustments are rarely perfectly linear because the usefulness of the extra metres matters.
 
I partly disagree with pushing condition down the list. If the dated finishes extend to several expensive components, condition could dominate a small location difference. Get the works separated into necessary items, optional modernisation and pure decoration; otherwise the adjustment becomes guesswork.
 
The possible vacancy cost should sit outside the property valuation. It affects your total deal economics and perhaps your maximum offer, but it doesn’t make the villa itself worth less to every buyer. Keeping those calculations separate will make the negotiation rationale clearer.
 
For the three asking comparables, record how long they remain available and whether their prices change. They still won’t become completed-sale evidence, but this may help identify ambitious asking prices. Don’t average all four properties as though the evidence has equal weight.
 
Agreed on separating vacancy costs. I’d build two figures: an indicated property value from comparable evidence, then a buyer-specific ceiling after works, empty-period costs and contingency. That prevents a personal financing or timing issue from distorting the market comparison.
 
The tenure question needs careful wording. “Lease length” may not even be the relevant concept for this particular villa, depending on how title and any shared arrangements are structured. Ask exactly what is owned, what is shared, and which recurring charges attach to it; then have the documents checked locally.
 
Parking deserves its own paired comparison if possible. Don’t bury it inside a general per-m² rate, because it isn’t living area. The same applies to a garden, terrace or courtyard: describe size, privacy and usability before deciding whether the completed sale is truly comparable.
 
One more thought on light: establish why it is good and whether that advantage is durable. Orientation, window placement and nearby buildings are more useful valuation inputs than the listing simply calling the property bright. Compare those features directly with the completed sale.
 
A point estimate would be false precision. My concern is deciding which uncertainty actually sets the width of the range.

I’d run a cautious case and a favourable case for condition, measured area, light, outdoor space and recurring charges, without combining every optimistic adjustment. Before doing that, I’d want to know whether the closed sale’s condition was documented or merely described in marketing. If both properties have comparable inspection evidence, a narrower range may be defensible; if not, condition should remain the largest unresolved allowance rather than being hidden in the per-m² rate.
 
A simple adjustment grid could have rows for location, measured area and layout, condition, parking, outdoor space, light, and recurring charges. Put the completed sale in one column and the villa in another. Qualitative entries are fine until reliable amounts are available.
 
I’d avoid double-counting. Better light may already be reflected in the micro-location or outdoor-space comparison, while service charges can overlap with maintenance obligations. After each adjustment, write one sentence explaining what distinct difference it captures.
 
Good point. The grid should also flag evidence quality: confirmed completed-sale information, agent-supplied details, listing claims, or still unknown. That keeps a precise-looking spreadsheet from disguising weak inputs.
 
Before negotiating, ask the agent which comparables were used to support €993,600 and whether the seller’s figure assumes any work has already been reflected. The answer is not independent evidence, but it may reveal where your analysis and the seller’s expectations diverge.
 
At this stage the most useful sequence seems to be: verify area and tenure details, inspect and cost the condition items, establish parking and outdoor-space differences, then revisit the single completed sale. Only after that would I use the active listings to test whether the resulting range is plausible.
 
Back
Top