Paris five-bed homes: is 57 days meaningful or an active-listing distortion?

LuckyFrame

Property investor
I can use the active Paris listings and risk overrepresenting slow stock, or wait for completed sales and lose a timely view of this month. Neither option feels satisfactory with such a narrow group.

I’m following five-bedroom detached homes advertised from €662400 to €993,600. The active adverts indicate about 57 days on the market, and several of the oldest properties are vacant. Is that broadly consistent with comparable completions, or are condition, seller motivation and withdrawn listings distorting the picture? Agents have offered conflicting explanations, including seasonality.
 
To clarify, I’m trying to judge whether conditions changed this month rather than declare 57 days a reliable market-wide figure. I’m especially unsure how to treat withdrawn listings and homes that disappear without a recorded completion. Would you exclude those, or track them separately?
 
Track them separately. Active listings create survivorship bias: quick sales leave your sample while slow or overpriced homes remain visible and keep getting older. Completed sales would be more useful, but only if you can compare similar neighbourhoods, condition and initial asking price. Withdrawals also matter because some may represent failed attempts rather than sales.
 
I widened the area slightly in a similar search once, and the apparent pattern changed immediately. That raises a boundary question here: what locations are included under “Paris” for this sample?

Five-bedroom detached homes can differ sharply between nearby areas, so a small geographic change may matter more than seasonality. I’d also count suitable properties newly listed this month. If supply has risen, an active listing age of 57 days points to a different balance than it would in a shrinking pool.
 
Vacancy is only a clue. The specific concern is treating it as proof that the seller is ready to accept less.

An empty home may indicate urgency, but it may also remain unsold because it needs substantial work, is priced too high or has a complication missing from the advert. Check the condition, price-cut history and any evidence of seller timing before using vacancy as a motivation signal.
 
Price-cut timing may tell you more than the headline age. Separate homes that stayed at their original asking price from those reduced after several weeks. Also split renovated properties from those needing substantial work. Two listings with 57 days online can be in very different positions if one has just been reduced and the other has not moved at all.
 
Another missing piece is buyer financing. Even where an offer is accepted promptly, the route to a completed sale may take longer if financing is uncertain. So I’d avoid treating listing disappearance, buyer found and completed transaction as the same event. Nina’s completed-sales comparison needs consistent start and end points.
 
Seller motivation cuts across all of this. A vacant home is not necessarily urgent, while an occupied one may have a firm deadline. Practically, I’d make three groups: completed sales, withdrawn or relisted homes, and still-active listings. Then note original price, reductions, condition, neighbourhood and whether the advert signals any timing constraint.
 
The 57-day figure is useful as a description of the current online sample, but not yet as evidence that Paris changed this month. I’d repeat the same calculation after removing boundary mismatches and obvious condition outliers, then compare it with recent completions and new-listing volume. If the result survives those adjustments, seasonality becomes a more plausible discussion rather than the default explanation.
 
Back
Top