Paris listing agent wants to represent our €349,600 buyer too—what should be in writing?

EasyRiver

Homeowner
One of us wants to take the early €349,600 offer seriously and keep matters moving; the other thinks the agent’s involvement on both sides is reason enough to pause. This is our Paris property, and we do not yet know whether the offer is formal or how the agent proposes to separate the negotiations.

Before we respond, I want the agency to identify in writing who acts for each party, whether there will be a different named contact for the buyer, what information is kept from whom, and whether the fee changes. I would also like confirmation of what marketing and photography work is covered if the sale proceeds this way. Which answers would reassure you, and which would make you insist that the buyer obtain separate representation?
 
I would not proceed on a verbal assurance alone. Ask the agent to explain in writing whom they represent, who pays the fee, what information will remain confidential, and how offers or counteroffers will be communicated. Also ask for a named contact for each side rather than one person conducting both negotiations. Have an independent adviser familiar with French transactions confirm whether the proposed arrangement is acceptable.
 
Is the €349,600 offer actually in writing, and has the buyer supplied anything showing how they intend to fund the purchase? Speed means little if “early offer” just means an enthusiastic message. I would separate the two issues: first qualify the buyer and understand any conditions; then decide whether the agent’s role creates a conflict you cannot manage.
 
I would not reject it automatically. A buyer found quickly can still be credible, and separate representation does not guarantee stronger negotiation. The deciding point for me would be whether the agent gives clear, symmetrical rules for offer handling and accepts that you may obtain independent advice.

However, I would resist paying the same fee without an explanation of what work remains: marketing and photography scope, response times, buyer qualification, and support if this offer falls through.
 
My practical next step would be one email with numbered questions, not a phone discussion: fee basis; exact role for each party; named contact; confidentiality boundaries; evidence of buyer qualification; how counteroffers are recorded; what happens to marketing while negotiations continue; and what support is provided after a fall-through. If the answers are vague or rushed, that itself is useful information.
 
That distinction between buyer quality and agent conflict helps. I have not replied yet. I will request the offer and any conditions in writing, ask how the buyer has been qualified, and seek a written explanation of representation, confidentiality, fees and offer handling. I will also ask whether marketing continues and who deals with us if this offer collapses. If they cannot name separate contacts or define the boundaries clearly, we will get independent guidance before engaging further.
 
Back
Top