Paris retail unit: framing a 4% below-ask offer after 108 days

iris.winter

First-time buyer
I want to make a credible opening offer without giving up protections to make it attractive. The difficulty is that completed-sale evidence is thin for a Paris retail unit listed at €676,200, while the property has already been marketed for 108 days and requires some updating.

I am considering €649,152, which is 4% under the asking price. My financing position is solid and I can offer reasonable choice over the completion date. How would you present that combination without overstating what the limited comparables prove?

I also need to decide which conditions are non-negotiable. In particular, I do not want a cleaner-looking offer to create avoidable exposure around inspection, valuation, financing or the deposit, and I would like to understand when repair credits should be raised.
 
Four percent below does not sound inherently aggressive, particularly after 108 days, but I would not present the time on market as proof that the seller is overpriced. Keep the rationale factual: uncertainty around completed sales, the unit’s updating needs, and your ability to proceed reliably. State the number once and avoid a long list of criticisms that makes the seller feel you are attacking the property.
 
Is the unit vacant or occupied, and what does “updating” cover? With retail property, the condition and cost of physical works may be only part of the picture; any existing occupancy arrangements and intended use could materially affect what you are willing to pay. Those missing facts also determine what your inspection needs to cover.
 
The aim should be a dependable offer, but the available evidence does not support presenting €649,152 as a precise valuation. A listing period of 108 days might reflect limited demand, or simply a seller willing to wait, and nearby asking prices do not resolve that.

Keep the explanation brief, then support it with financing proof, proposed completion dates and a realistic deadline for reply. That demonstrates your ability to proceed without making the time on market carry more weight than it can.
 
Do not confuse a clean offer with an unprotected one. I would preserve enough time for technical investigation and document review, plus financing and valuation protection if either could affect your ability to complete. Deposit exposure should be understood before signing anything. The exact wording and consequences depend on the French contract, so have the relevant local adviser draft or review the conditions rather than borrowing standard language from another country.
 
On the updating, decide whether you want the lower price to account for it or whether you intend to seek repair credits later. Asking for both without newly discovered defects can feel like renegotiating the same issue twice. Unknown problems found during inspection are different, but visible work should already be reflected in the opening rationale.
 
Financing proof can strengthen this without revealing every detail of your finances. Provide enough confirmation to show that the €649,152 offer is executable, while making clear whether it remains subject to lender approval or valuation. “Solid financing” is reassuring, but the seller needs to know what uncertainty still exists.
 
The appraisal gap deserves its own plan. If a lender values the unit below the agreed price, will you contribute more cash, seek a reduction, or withdraw under an agreed condition? Work out that boundary before offering. Otherwise the seller may accept 4% below asking only for both parties to discover later that financing was solid at a different valuation.
 
Following that point, I would set three figures privately: the opening offer, the highest price you can justify on current information, and the maximum you could fund if the valuation comes in lower. Only the first belongs in the initial offer. The other two stop you making improvised concessions during a counteroffer.
 
Ask the agent what matters to the seller besides price. A preferred completion date, certainty, or fewer open-ended conditions may carry weight, while your flexibility could be useful. I would not ask bluntly why it has not sold; ask whether earlier interest failed over price, timing, financing or property issues. The answer may expose motivation without requiring the seller to disclose a bottom line.
 
A practical package would be: €649,152 in writing; brief support based on limited completed-sale evidence and known updating; financing confirmation; a completion window that accommodates the seller; a clear response deadline; and narrowly drafted protections for investigation, financing and valuation. Before submission, quantify visible works and define your deposit risk and walk-away points. That looks serious rather than opportunistic, even if the seller counters.
 
Back
Top