Paris studio at €1,099,000: is 11% below asking too aggressive?

yogaAndPost

Property investor
The agent says the owner expects a stronger price and that another purchaser may drop key protections. I am not comfortable matching that risk simply to compete.

The Paris studio is listed at €1,099,000 and has been on the market for 95 days. It requires some modernisation, while the local evidence I can find is mostly current listings rather than completed transactions. I am considering starting 11% lower, supported by financing proof and flexibility over the completion date.

Is that enough to show I am serious while keeping financing and inspection conditions? I also want to understand how to limit my deposit exposure if the valuation comes in short. Perhaps the best approach is to ask what matters most to the seller, then make one documented offer around that priority.
 
Make it about the property and evidence, not the seller’s expectations: time on market, updating costs and the lack of convincing completed comparables. Attach financing proof, state the completion flexibility clearly and give a reasonable response deadline.

I would not waive financing or protection against material condition problems merely to make an 11%-below offer look cleaner. If the seller rejects it, you have learned something without taking on disproportionate risk.
 
What does “needs updating” mean here—cosmetic finishes, or issues that could affect the building or unit more broadly? That changes whether you should price the work into the initial offer or discuss a reduction after findings.

Also ask what the seller actually values besides price. After 95 days, timing may matter, but it could equally mean they are prepared to wait. The agent’s statement about another buyer is not a substitute for a completed comparable or an actual competing offer.
 
I’m less convinced that 11% is automatically sensible. Ninety-five days and dated interiors support negotiation, but without completed sales you also lack evidence that asking is substantially high. If this is a studio you would regret losing, opening that far below may simply end the conversation.

Submit it if it reflects your firm ceiling, but don’t dress it up as a precise valuation. Keep the explanation brief and invite a counteroffer.
 
Before sending anything, ask for the strongest completed-sale evidence the agent can provide, the seller’s preferred timing and enough detail to estimate the updating work. Then have the offer wording checked for the local transaction and your financing arrangements.

Be explicit about what happens if the lender’s valuation is below the agreed price, what condition findings allow you to renegotiate or withdraw, and when any deposit becomes exposed. A short response deadline can prevent the offer being used indefinitely as leverage, but it should still give the seller time to consider it.
 
Back
Top