Paris warehouse at €1,242,000: building a complete legal and tax cost checklist

FarThread

First-time buyer
I’m considering a Paris warehouse priced at about €1,242,000 and want a realistic closing and ownership-cost checklist before proceeding. I already have transfer tax, registration and notary/legal costs on it.

The less clear areas are the ownership structure, recurring property charges, residency implications, capital-gains treatment and inheritance planning. Which costs or questions are most often missing from an initial estimate? I’m looking for points to take to licensed French advisers, not personal legal or tax advice.
 
Ask for the estimate to separate one-off acquisition costs from annual obligations and transaction-specific adjustments. Also request a written explanation of what the quoted notary amount includes rather than treating it as one fee.

For a warehouse, clarify whether the proposed use and buyer structure alter the tax treatment, who bears each recurring charge, and how any later sale would be treated. Those answers may depend on both French rules and your residence.
 
Before focusing on inheritance or capital gains, what will the warehouse actually be used for: your own business, leasing to another occupier, redevelopment, or passive holding? Also, are you buying personally or through an entity?

I would not assume the ownership structure that looks simplest at purchase will remain simplest annually or on resale. Ask the adviser to compare the same scenarios through acquisition, yearly ownership, sale and succession—not just closing day.
 
That use question is important, but I wouldn’t postpone succession and exit planning until later; they can affect the initial structure. A practical next step is to send the notary and tax adviser a one-page fact pattern: €1,242,000 price, Paris location, warehouse use, intended holding period, buyer residence, financing, expected occupier and proposed owner.

Then ask each to mark assumptions, excluded costs and charges payable by buyer versus seller. Differences between their answers will show where a more specific opinion is needed.
 
Back
Top