If the income estimate or recurring charges are wrong, this purchase could move from a thin return to negative cash flow very quickly. The Phoenix 2-bed is priced at $415,000 and is expected to rent for $1,196 a month, giving only about 3.5% gross before expenses.
I have included an empty-period allowance, management, normal upkeep and some provision for major work. I am less sure about insurance, tenant turnover costs and whatever the serviced-apartment arrangement requires the owner to pay. Is $1,196 an adequate basis for analysis only if it is an achieved rent, and which building or service charge would you verify before spending more time on the deal?
I have included an empty-period allowance, management, normal upkeep and some provision for major work. I am less sure about insurance, tenant turnover costs and whatever the serviced-apartment arrangement requires the owner to pay. Is $1,196 an adequate basis for analysis only if it is an achieved rent, and which building or service charge would you verify before spending more time on the deal?