Portugal purchase near Lisbon: costs missing from the first estimate

aisha_dale

Landlord
I've asked for a full written statement rather than another verbal estimate.

I'm building a closing-cost checklist for a country home near Lisbon priced at about €243,800. I have transfer tax, legal/notary fees and registration on the list, but I am less clear about ownership restrictions or structures, recurring property charges, and how residency might change the picture.

For anyone who completed a Portuguese purchase, which items were absent or unclear in the first estimate? I also want to ask a licensed local professional about capital-gains treatment and inheritance planning. Experiences and useful questions are welcome; I'm not seeking personal legal or tax advice.
 
Ask for the estimate to separate money needed for completion from later annual charges. It should also say which assumptions were used: personal or other ownership, residency position, intended use of the home, and whether every notary and registration item is included.

A total without those assumptions is difficult to assess, even when the purchase price is fixed at €243,800.
 
Will you own it alone or jointly, and do you expect your residency to change? Those seem like missing facts before anyone can sensibly discuss inheritance or eventual capital-gains treatment.

I would also request a list showing who receives each payment. That makes it easier to distinguish taxes and public registration charges from the professional fees in the same estimate.
 
One caveat to my earlier questions: I would not choose an ownership structure merely because one closing-cost line looks lower. Ask the local adviser to compare the continuing obligations and what happens on a sale or inheritance as well. The cheapest-looking route at completion may not be the simplest overall.
 
I agree on comparing the longer-term consequences, but I would keep them out of the actual completion total so the cash requirement remains readable. Ask for three sections: costs due before or at completion, recurring annual charges, and possible future sale or inheritance issues. Also have the adviser mark which figures are fixed and which are only estimates. That should make the written statement much easier to challenge line by line.
 
Back
Top