Prague rental: CZK 14,960,000 purchase and CZK 63,350 monthly rent — service-charge sanity check

PlainEcho

Market analyst
Market Reporter
I need to decide soon whether this Prague villa is worth pursuing. The headline case is appealing, but there is not much room for costs to be wrong: the 2-bed property is CZK 14,960,000 and projected rent is CZK 63,350 per month, giving about 5.1% gross. Allowing for only eleven paid months brings that closer to 4.7% before expenses.

I have budgeted for management, ordinary upkeep and major repairs, yet owner-paid service charges, exterior work or insurance could still weaken the cash flow. Financing may have an even larger effect at that yield. Which figures should I obtain before proceeding—an itemised charge history, confirmation of what the rent includes, or likely loan terms—and what expense is easiest to miss here?
 
First establish exactly which service charges remain with the owner and which are recoverable from the tenant. A single headline amount is not enough; ask for an itemised history and check for irregular building works.

For a villa, I would also stress-test insurance, exterior maintenance and tenant-turnover costs. Eleven months’ rent already gives you some vacancy protection, but it does not cover repainting, repairs or reletting expenses between tenants.
 
Is this an all-cash calculation or will there be financing? At a sub-5% yield before operating costs, the interest rate and repayment structure could matter more than a small difference in service charges.

I’d also clarify whether CZK 63,350 is bare rent or includes utilities, parking, furnishings or any charge paid onward. Otherwise the numerator may not be comparable with the expenses in your model.
 
I wouldn’t automatically assume the repair reserve is the main weakness. One month of vacancy plus management and maintenance may already be fairly conservative if the tenancy is stable. The bigger danger is double-counting turnover in several categories while missing a known owner-paid charge.

Personally, I’d want a credible route to at least the mid-3% range net before financing, but that is a risk preference, not a Prague rule.
 
One addition to my earlier comment: run separate normal-year and bad-year cases. Normal year: eleven months’ rent less recurring owner costs. Bad year: the same, plus tenant turnover and one meaningful repair. If the investment only looks acceptable when every year is normal, the 5.1% headline is doing too much work.
 
Before deciding on a target yield, replace every allowance you can with property-specific figures: recent service-charge statements, the actual property-tax amount, an insurance quote, management terms and an inspection-based maintenance list. Then test twelve, eleven and ten months of rent, plus higher financing costs if borrowing. That will show whether this is a modest but resilient return or a deal dependent on optimistic occupancy.
 
Back
Top