Price high first, or launch closer to likely sale price near Manchester?

beam.local

Real estate agent
Two agents have valued my Manchester new-build flat quite differently. The higher proposal is obviously tempting, but I’ve noticed comparable listings launching ambitiously, sitting for roughly 17 days, then cutting.

Would you start high to leave negotiating room, or launch nearer the likely sale price to capture first-week interest? I’m more interested in completed outcomes than an agent’s pitch, especially where neighbourhood boundaries and flat condition affect the comparison.
 
I’d favour the realistic launch unless the higher agent can support their figure with genuinely comparable completed sales. A high asking price only “protects” the result if suitable buyers still view; otherwise the strongest early audience may dismiss it before the reduction. Also compare what was withdrawn, not just what remains listed, because stale asking prices can make the market look stronger than it is.
 
How different are the two valuations, and are both agents using sales from the same immediate area and the same type of new-build? A nearby boundary can change the comparison, as can floor, outlook, parking, service costs and whether the flat is presented as effectively new or already occupied. I’d ask each agent to explain which completed sale they would remove from their evidence and why.
 
That said, I don’t completely agree that a reduction after 17 days automatically means the launch failed. If new-listing volume is low, testing slightly higher may be reasonable for a seller with no deadline. The bigger problem is combining an ambitious price with slow reactions. Buyer financing can also delay feedback, so viewing numbers and the quality of enquiries matter more than the day count alone.
 
The point about motivation helps: I do care more about a dependable sale than testing the absolute ceiling. I’ll ask both agents for recent completed sales within a tightly defined area, plus any comparable flats they listed and later withdrew or reduced. I’ll also ask what specific viewing or enquiry pattern would trigger a price change, rather than agreeing to “see how it goes” after 17 days.
 
Back
Top