Price high first, or launch closer to the likely sale price — what am I missing?

post.happy

First-time buyer
I have two agents giving quite different valuations for an Atlanta villa. The higher proposal is obviously tempting, but I’m seeing comparable listings launch ambitiously, sit for roughly 40 days, and then reduce.

My concern is whether starting high sacrifices the strongest first-week interest without improving the completed sale price. On the other hand, pricing closer to the likely result could leave money on the table if the property’s condition or exact neighbourhood position makes it stand out.

For anyone arguing either approach, what evidence would you ask the agents to provide—recent completed sales, current new-listing volume, withdrawn stock, or the timing and size of price cuts? I’d also like to understand how buyer financing and seller motivation should affect the strategy.

I’m especially interested in completed outcomes rather than asking prices or promises made during a pitch. Disagreement is welcome, but please explain the assumptions behind your view for this particular property type.
 
Back
Top