Price high first, or launch near the likely sale price?

kit_reese

Homeowner
Established
I’m choosing between two agents for a Bengaluru country home, and their valuations are far apart. The higher proposal is tempting, but comparable listings that launched ambitiously appear to have sat for roughly 95 days before cutting.

Would you start high to leave negotiating room, or launch nearer the price the evidence supports? I want to compare recent completed sales, not just asking prices or promises made during a pitch. For country homes, I’d also like to understand which differences genuinely justify a premium.
 
I’d launch near the evidence-backed figure unless the higher agent can show completed sales supporting the premium. Ask both agents for the same small set of recent sales, their original asking prices, final prices and time on market. If one relies mainly on active listings, that is not a persuasive valuation.
 
How tightly are they defining the neighbourhood? With a country home, two properties described as “Bengaluru” may have very different access, plot characteristics and surroundings. I’d ask each agent to mark the comparables on a map and explain every adjustment for location and condition. The valuation gap may then become easier to understand.
 
Good point. I’d also ask whether either agent excluded inconvenient evidence. Three genuinely similar completed sales are more useful than a long list assembled from loose boundaries. If the higher valuation depends on calling a distant or better-finished home comparable, the premium is probably coming from the selection rather than this property.
 
I’ll disagree slightly with the launch-near-market consensus. A higher opening can be reasonable when the home has something difficult to replicate and the seller is not under time pressure. The problem is not automatically the higher price; it is starting high without a clear reason or an agreed point at which weak interest triggers a change.
 
Also count withdrawn stock. Listings that disappear are not completed sales, and treating them as proof of demand can make an area look stronger than it is. I’d want each agent to separate sold, still active, reduced and withdrawn properties. The 95-day examples matter more if several followed the same pattern.
 
Rosa’s approach only works if “we’ll adjust later” means a specific, short decision window. Waiting until around day 95 to make the first serious cut risks turning a fresh listing into one buyers have already dismissed. Agree beforehand what level of enquiries and viewings would justify holding the price, rather than deciding emotionally after launch.
 
Buyer financing could alter the comparison too. A completed cash purchase and a financed purchase do not necessarily face the same constraints, particularly if the property’s documentation, access or condition raises questions for a lender. I wouldn’t assume a legal or lending issue, but in India the seller should confirm the property-specific position with the appropriate local professionals before setting a strategy around financed demand.
 
What is the seller’s actual priority: maximum possible price, a dependable sale within a certain period, or avoiding repeated reductions? Without that, both agents can claim to be right. The ambitious figure may suit a patient seller willing to accept a failed launch; it is a poor fit if timing and certainty matter.
 
Recent completed sales can lag the current mood, though. I’d pair them with today’s new-listing volume. If similar country homes are arriving faster than buyers are absorbing them, launching high becomes harder to defend even when an older completed sale looks encouraging. Conversely, very little competing stock could support a modest premium test.
 
I’d give both agents an identical written exercise: choose the most relevant completed sales, explain the neighbourhood boundary, adjust for condition and unique features, identify current competition and withdrawn listings, then propose a price-cut timetable. Comparing their reasoning should be more revealing than comparing the two headline valuations.
 
Condition needs more than a broad “good” or “needs work” label. A home that presents well but has obvious deferred maintenance may attract interest while still losing buyers during closer examination. Ask which condition differences affect buyer confidence and which are merely cosmetic. That distinction should influence both the initial price and any work done before listing.
 
Yes, and I would settle the presentation work before testing the higher figure. A premium launch paired with visible unfinished jobs gives buyers two reasons to hesitate. If the seller will not improve anything, the valuation should reflect the home as offered rather than an imagined finished version.
 
The practical choice seems to be conditional rather than simply high or low. Use the higher proposal only if it is supported by tightly matched completed sales, limited competing stock, a defensible property advantage and a seller who can wait. Otherwise, start near the likely sale range and protect the first wave of attention. Whichever route you choose, put the response measures and reduction date in writing before launch.
 
Back
Top