Pricing the risk of a possible special assessment on a Dubai apartment

green_garden

Property investor
I’m considering a 170 m² apartment in Dubai. The association’s reserve appears thin, while major exterior work is being discussed. Nothing has been approved, but owners have mentioned potential figures as high as AED 330,300.

I’m reading the meeting minutes, insurance information, reserve accounts and maintenance plan. What else would distinguish routine long-term planning from a serious reason to walk away? I’m interested in the downside—including resale liquidity and management burden—not general reassurance about Dubai.
 
First establish what AED 330,300 represents: this apartment’s estimated share, the entire building cost, or informal speculation. If it is the unit’s share, that is roughly AED 1,943 per m² and deserves a clear calculation.

Ask for several years of budgets and accounts, reserve contributions, unpaid owner balances, the detailed work scope, engineer reports, contractor estimates or tenders, and minutes showing how costs may be allocated. Also compare the proposed work with what the maintenance plan previously anticipated.
 
I wouldn’t treat a thin reserve alone as an automatic walk-away. Delaying necessary exterior work can be worse than funding it, particularly if poor condition starts affecting insurance, energy use, tenant demand or resale.

The bigger warning would be uncertainty piled on uncertainty: no defined scope, no credible estimate, unclear allocation and weak collection from owners. Ask the seller for written clarification and price the full AED 330,300 into your decision until better evidence narrows it. Before committing, have the documents and purchase terms reviewed by someone familiar with Dubai transactions.
 
Back
Top