Pricing the risk of a possible special assessment on a São Paulo apartment

compareTheWall

Property investor
I could proceed with a price allowance for the exterior work, or walk away until the scope is settled. Neither feels comfortable: the first may underestimate the bill, while the second could mean rejecting an otherwise appealing 240 m² apartment in São Paulo.

The building has limited reserves and owners have discussed possible charges of up to R$100,800, but no project has been approved. I’m reviewing financial records, meeting history, insurance and maintenance planning. What would show that this is simply a building that collects for major work as needed, rather than one with weak cost control? I’m also concerned that exterior repairs may be only one of several deferred items affecting future maintenance and tenant demand.
 
Ask for the financial statements and approved budgets alongside several years of minutes, not just the latest meeting. You want to trace when the exterior problem first appeared, whether money was allocated for it, and whether the estimated scope keeps changing.

Also request any technical report, written scope, contractor proposals, current reserve balance, owner-payment arrears and the formula used to divide costs among apartments. R$100,800 means little until you know whether it is your estimated share, a rough comment or a building-wide figure.
 
One more distinction: a small reserve can reflect a deliberate practice of collecting project costs from owners when needed, or years of keeping regular charges artificially low. The documents should reveal which pattern this building has. I would also look for other deferred items competing for the same money—lifts, roof, plumbing, electrical systems or common areas—because the exterior may not be the only future call.
 
What exactly is meant by “exterior work”? Painting and planned upkeep are very different from water ingress, loose materials or structural investigation. I’d ask management for the latest written description and whether access, design or temporary protection is included in the figures being discussed. A vague R$100,800 estimate is much harder to price than a defined project awaiting bids.
 
I wouldn’t make the reserve balance the sole pass-or-fail test. Governance matters more: do the minutes show decisions being followed, budgets updated and owners paying on time? A building can have cash yet manage a project badly.

Conversely, even competent management cannot make an uncertain scope harmless. Any purchase-price reduction only helps if you still retain enough liquidity for an assessment and possible follow-on work.
 
Insurance deserves a narrower question too. I would not assume the policy will pay for routine deterioration or previously identified maintenance. Ask for the policy wording, exclusions relevant to the reported exterior issue, deductible and any related claim correspondence. Then compare that with the technical report. A broad policy summary by itself may create false comfort.
 
I’d model three cases: no assessment before your planned exit, your full R$100,800 share, and a higher unresolved-cost case. Then decide whether each still leaves the apartment affordable after regular building charges, maintenance inside a 240 m² unit and energy use.

If this might become a rental, add vacancy and tenant-demand assumptions separately. A special assessment is a capital risk; it should not be hidden inside an optimistic rent forecast.
 
Resale liquidity is the awkward part. A future buyer may scrutinise the same minutes and uncertainty, while an approved and funded project could actually be easier to explain than an open-ended discussion. I’d ask the seller why they are leaving now and whether the sale contract can clearly address any assessment approved between signing and completion. The answer may depend on the contract and local practice, so have the wording checked in São Paulo.
 
I agree that uncertainty is not automatically a reason to walk, but it needs boundaries. Before deciding, I’d want: the technical scope, competing proposals if available, allocation method, reserve evidence, arrears, recent financial records, relevant insurance detail, and minutes showing how management reached the current estimate.

If management cannot produce those, or the minutes repeatedly postpone known work without funding it, I’d price the apartment as though the R$100,800 could arrive quickly and still leave further costs. If that scenario breaks the purchase, the answer is already clear.
 
Back
Top