Qatar new-build at QAR 4,186,000: which legal and tax costs are easily missed?

ada_shore

Landlord
I’m preparing a closing-cost checklist for a new-build flat in Doha priced at about QAR 4,186,000. I have allowed for transfer-related charges, registration and legal or notary costs, but I’m less clear about ownership restrictions, developer charges and recurring property costs.

Before committing, I want a transaction-specific estimate rather than a generic percentage. What questions should I put to a licensed local professional about acquisition, annual charges, eventual capital-gains treatment, residency and inheritance planning? I’m looking for issues to investigate, not personal legal or tax advice.
 
Ask for the estimate to be divided by payee: government authority, developer, building management and legal/notary provider. Then have every item marked as payable at reservation, signing, registration, handover or annually. A total figure can hide both duplicated labels and costs that arise much later. Also ask which amounts are fixed, which depend on the QAR 4,186,000 price, and which can change before completion.
 
The missing fact is what “new-build” means in this transaction. Is the flat already complete, or will registration and handover happen later? Also, will the purchaser be an individual or another ownership structure, and what nationality or residency assumptions were used? Those answers may affect whether the unit can be owned as proposed and whether any residency discussion is relevant.
 
That’s helpful. I was treating “new-build” as enough information, but it clearly isn’t. I’ll ask the seller to state separately when signing, registration and handover occur, and I’ll have the local professional confirm ownership eligibility for the exact unit and proposed purchaser rather than relying on the development’s general marketing.
 
I would not let residency drive the cost exercise. First establish that the proposed ownership structure is permitted and what rights are actually being registered. Residency rules may be a separate consequence and can change independently. Likewise, don’t assume the purchase tax position answers the eventual sale question; ask how capital-gains treatment would be assessed for this purchaser at disposal.
 
A simple table should make the gaps visible. Use columns for amount or calculation basis, payee, due date, whether refundable, and who confirmed it. Create sections for acquisition, handover, annual ownership and exit.

For annual costs, ask for the current property or service-charge schedule, what it covers, when it can be revised and whether any unpaid amount can delay transfer later. For exit costs, include sale-related registration, professional fees and any tax analysis rather than assuming the purchase estimate covers them.
 
Agreed with Oscar that residency should remain a separate line of inquiry. I’d add inheritance planning as a fifth section rather than leaving it until after purchase. Ask how the proposed title would be dealt with on death, whether documents from another jurisdiction would be relevant, and whether the ownership structure creates additional administration.

For the final meeting, take the developer’s figures and ask the licensed professional to mark each item applicable, not applicable or still unconfirmed for this exact Doha flat. That should expose assumptions without pretending one buyer’s list will fit every transaction.
 
Back
Top