Raise rent gradually or protect a reliable tenancy with flood risk?

lens.red

Homeowner
Established
My tenant pays on time, reports maintenance issues early and looks after the property. They currently pay ZAR 50,310, while comparable market rent is around ZAR 57,110. I do not want that gap to keep widening, but vacancy, tenant replacement and deposit handling all carry cost and uncertainty, particularly with flood risk in the picture. Would you use small predictable increases, freeze the rent, or pair improvements with a later review? What detail would decide it for you?
 
I would choose a modest, predictable increase rather than trying to reach ZAR 57,110 in one jump. A reliable tenant has financial value: fewer payment problems, earlier maintenance reporting and less chance of an empty period. Explain that the rent is below the local market and give proper notice under your local rules. Stability can justify some discount, just not an ever-growing one.
 
How firm is the ZAR 57,110 figure? Is it based on genuinely comparable occupied properties, or asking prices for listings that may sit vacant? I would also calculate the rent lost during a realistic vacancy plus advertising, preparation and any maintenance between tenants. That comparison may show whether closing even part of the ZAR 6,800 monthly gap is worth risking this tenancy.
 
I would not automatically treat improvements as the compromise. Necessary maintenance should be handled regardless, and optional upgrades may not matter to this tenant. Ask what they value first. Then offer a clear renewal proposal with a smaller increase and a date for the next review, while checking local notice requirements and how any tenancy change affects the deposit. The flood exposure makes payment reliability and prompt issue reporting unusually valuable, so I would price that into the decision rather than chase the headline market rent.
 
Back
Top