Raise rent modestly or retain a reliable Seattle student tenant?

slate.modern

Property investor
Established
I’m reviewing the paperwork for a Seattle student-housing property. Current rent is about $1,317, while comparable asking rent appears closer to $1,447. The tenant pays reliably and takes care of the home, although there is a long list of ordinary maintenance jobs.

Would you make a modest adjustment rather than pursue the full $130 gap? I’m trying to account for vacancy, turnover and refurbishment costs while following local notice rules and keeping the relationship constructive.
 
I wouldn’t chase the whole gap solely because other units are advertised at $1,447; asking rent is not necessarily achieved rent. Put a reasonable value on even a short vacancy, cleaning, repairs and your time. If that exceeds the extra annual rent, retaining this tenant is the stronger financial choice. A smaller increase, properly timed and clearly explained, sounds like the balanced route.
 
Is the tenant on a fixed term or month-to-month arrangement, and when was the last increase? Those details affect both timing and how the proposal will land. I’d also ask whether the $1,447 listings truly match this unit’s condition and student-housing calendar. If maintenance has accumulated, completing the more visible items before raising rent could make the conversation feel fairer.
 
I agree about checking comparables, but I wouldn’t treat reliable payment as a reason to freeze rent indefinitely. That can create a much harder adjustment later. First verify the current Seattle and Washington notice requirements for this tenancy, then price the likely vacancy and turnover work against several possible increases—not just $1,317 versus $1,447.

Keep deposit handling out of the rent negotiation; it only becomes relevant if the tenant leaves and should follow the applicable rules. A written, modest proposal with enough notice gives the tenant room to plan and may preserve the relationship.
 
Back
Top