Raise rent on an excellent tenant or pay for the stability?

compass.fresh

Homeowner
Established
Part of me wants to reduce the gap with the market, while another part thinks a reliable tenant is worth accepting some discount. The current amount is QAR 31,010 for the period, compared with roughly QAR 37,930 indicated by similar Doha properties.

Before changing anything, I plan to check whether those comparables reflect achieved terms, how the properties differ, and what the relevant renewal and notice requirements allow. Then I would compare a modest step-up with the likely cost of a void, reletting and taking a chance on someone new.

Would you increase gradually now, hold the figure for another term, or agree on improvements before revisiting it? I want to prevent the difference from widening without turning a good tenancy into an avoidable vacancy.
 
I would not chase the entire QAR 6,920 difference in one move. First compare that amount with a realistic vacancy period, preparation costs and the risk of less reliable payments. A modest increase that preserves the relationship may produce the better net result. Give the tenant a clear explanation and enough time rather than presenting “market rent” as an ultimatum.
 
How strong are the comparables? Asking rents are not necessarily completed deals, and small differences in condition, furnishings or location can matter. I would also want to know the renewal date and whether the property has needed unusually little maintenance during this tenancy. Those facts could make the apparent discount much smaller economically.
 
For Doha, do not decide the figure before confirming the current Qatar rules that apply to this lease, including notice timing and whether the proposed increase is permitted. The contract terms and renewal circumstances matter. Separately, I agree with gvermeulen2: advertised properties should be matched closely and may not show what a landlord ultimately receives.
 
The replies have highlighted what I have not yet pinned down: achievable rent rather than advertised rent, likely vacancy time, reletting costs and the exact notice position under the lease. I am leaning away from closing the full gap at once. I will put those numbers together first, then consider a smaller increase with a clear schedule rather than letting the difference drift without discussion.
 
I would avoid tying routine improvements too tightly to the increase. Necessary maintenance should remain necessary maintenance; otherwise the tenant may hear, “accept more rent to get work done.” An optional upgrade is different, but price that separately and agree it clearly. Payment reliability and early reporting already have measurable value, even if they do not appear in nearby listings.
 
One more practical point: keep any rent negotiation separate from deposit handling. Record the property’s condition and follow the lease and applicable Qatar requirements when dealing with the deposit, whether the tenant renews or leaves. Before proposing a number, write down three outcomes—renewal at the present rent, renewal after a modest increase, and turnover at QAR 37,930 after vacancy and preparation costs. Comparing the net outcomes should make the decision less emotional.
 
Back
Top