Raise rent on an excellent tenant or value the stability at AED 3,450,000?

AdaHope

Homeowner
Established
The property is valued at AED 3,450,000. The tenant pays AED 8,657 against an estimated market rent of AED 9,771. They always pay on time, report maintenance issues early and look after the place.

I do not want that gap to keep widening, but replacing them could mean vacancy, extra work and a less reliable tenant. Would you make a small predictable increase, freeze the rent, or offer improvements tied to a later review? I’ll verify the local notice and increase rules before doing anything.
 
I would lean toward a modest increase, not an immediate jump to AED 9,771. The current difference is AED 1,114, and some of that is arguably the price of payment reliability and good care. First estimate the realistic cost of vacancy, reletting and preparing the property. If recovering the gap takes a long time after those costs, retention wins.
 
Before choosing an increase, how solid is the AED 9,771 estimate? Asking rents are not necessarily achieved rents, and condition, exact location and lease timing can change the comparison. I would also review the maintenance history: a tenant who reports small problems early may have saved more than the rent gap suggests.

That said, freezing indefinitely can make the eventual adjustment harder. A clearly explained, rules-compliant increase may be fairer than letting resentment build.
 
I agree with Maria on verifying the comparison, but I would not tie ordinary necessary maintenance to a rent increase. Improvements chosen by the tenant are a different discussion.

My sequence would be: confirm comparable rents, calculate likely vacancy and turnover costs, review notice limits, then speak to the tenant early. Put any agreed rent, improvement and timing in writing, and keep deposit handling separate and compliant with the local jurisdiction.
 
Back
Top