Raise the rent or retain a reliable student tenant in Buenos Aires?

shareTheSignal

Property manager
Established
The tenant’s strong payment and maintenance record made the rent gap look less straightforward than I first thought. This Buenos Aires student property has a stated value of ARS 911,400,000, with current rent at ARS 3,547,000 against comparable advertisements around ARS 4,508,000.

Matching the full advertised figure is tempting, but even a short vacancy plus preparation and reletting could erase much of the gain. I’m leaning toward a smaller adjustment explained in writing. Before discussing an amount, which contract terms should I verify for the timing and method of an increase, and how should I account for local notice requirements and possible deposit handling?
 
The gap is roughly 27%, but an asking rent is not necessarily the rent a replacement tenant will actually pay. Work out how many months of the proposed increase would be lost to even a short vacancy, preparation work and reletting costs. I’d offer a smaller adjustment with clear written notice, subject to the current contract and Argentine rules, and explain that the tenant’s payment and maintenance history were considered.
 
I’d be cautious about assuming a modest increase automatically preserves goodwill. In student housing, timing can matter as much as the amount, especially if the review falls near an academic move-out period.

How strong are those ARS 4,508,000 comparables—same area, condition, furnishings and lease format? Also check the existing agreement’s adjustment terms before discussing numbers. If turnover is possible, document the property’s present condition and confirm how the deposit would be handled under the applicable local rules.
 
Back
Top