Reality check: €29,440 left after buying a €547,400 Madrid duplex

BrightStone

First-time buyer
Established
I’m considering a 5-bed duplex in Madrid at around €547,400. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I’d have roughly €29,440 left.

That sounds substantial until I divide it among emergency savings, moving, immediate repairs, furniture and whatever an inspection finds. I also don’t want to overlook service charges, the insurance excess or the first mortgage payment.

How would you allocate that buffer? I’d rather buy slightly below my maximum than turn every ordinary first-year problem into a financial emergency.
 
I wouldn’t divide it evenly. Treat the €29,440 as protection first and a spending pot second: ring-fence your emergency savings and first mortgage payment, price the move, then reserve money for genuinely urgent inspection items. Furniture comes last. With five bedrooms, there’s no need to furnish every room immediately; close doors and add things gradually.
 
That distinction between protection and spending is useful. I had mentally included quite a lot of furniture, while not separating the first mortgage payment or insurance excess clearly enough. I also need firmer figures for moving and service charges. When the inspection arrives, how do you decide what is truly immediate rather than merely something the inspector has noted?
 
Ask for findings to be separated into work needed before occupation, work likely within the first year, and items to monitor. Then get cost estimates rather than relying on alarming wording alone. For a duplex, also establish whether each issue belongs to the property itself or to a shared part of the building. That distinction could materially change your repair allowance.
 
Getting this balance wrong could leave you protecting cash on paper while paying for unavoidable moving or household basics with costly borrowing. Those items are part of making the duplex usable, even though they fall after completion.

I would set a strict first-stage allowance for the move, essential furniture and any work needed before occupation. Leave decorative purchases and unused bedrooms until the inspection findings, service charges and first few payments are clearer. If those essentials cannot be covered without reducing the emergency reserve below a comfortable level, that points back to the purchase price rather than to postponing every chair.
 
Run two written scenarios before committing: one with a clean inspection and one with several ordinary first-year repairs. In each, subtract the first mortgage payment, confirmed moving costs, any service charges due, essential furniture and urgent work from the €29,440. Keep the insurance excess within the risk reserve rather than treating it as expected spending.

The lowest remaining balance is the meaningful number. If that figure makes you uncomfortable, reducing the purchase budget is more effective than trying to economise on every chair afterward.
 
Back
Top