Reality check: offering 9% below asking on a villa in Lyon — sensible or too aggressive (4 bed)

otis.elm

Buyer
Established
The seller is asking €1,021,000, and I am hesitant to accept that as the market level simply because nearby villas carry similar advertised prices. This one has been listed for 61 days and requires updating, while the completed-sale evidence I can find is limited.

I am considering an opening offer 9% below the asking price, backed by financing evidence and flexibility over completion. The reduction could be tied to condition and realistic works, with repair credits left as an alternative if the seller will not move enough on price. At the same time, 61 days may reflect a patient seller rather than weak demand.

Would you first seek more completed comparables and information about earlier offers, or submit the lower figure with a short response deadline? I would keep financing and inspection protections because a valuation shortfall could change what I can fund.
 
A 9% opening reduction is not inherently insulting when the property needs work and has sat for 61 days. Keep the explanation short: current condition, realistic updating costs and the limited evidence from completed comparables. Emphasise certainty and flexibility rather than telling the seller the villa is overpriced. I would use a rounded offer rather than €929,110, which can look artificially calculated.
 
Before settling on the number, ask why the seller is moving and whether there have been previous offers. Sixty-one days could indicate resistance to the price, but it could also mean the seller has no urgency. Also, are the comparable asking prices for villas with similar plots and condition? Differences there may overwhelm a 9% adjustment.
 
I’d be cautious about using time on market as the main rationale. Two months is not necessarily enough to prove the seller will accept a substantial discount. Lead with the updating required instead.

Also decide whether your initial price already accounts for visible repairs. Asking for a further repair credit later for the same items can feel like negotiating the price twice. Reserve that discussion for material defects discovered during inspection.
 
The protections matter more than making the offer look perfectly clean. I would not casually give up a financing condition or an independent inspection/building assessment. If the lender’s valuation comes in low, decide now whether you can cover any gap and set a limit; otherwise the deposit exposure may become uncomfortable.

Have the French notaire or another locally qualified adviser ensure the conditions and deposit consequences are written correctly. You can still make the commercial terms attractive with financing proof, a flexible completion date and a clear but reasonable expiry time.
 
I would submit one concise offer with three parts: the rounded price, evidence that financing is credible, and flexibility on completion. Give enough time for the seller to consider it rather than using a pressure deadline. If they reject without countering, ask the agent whether the obstacle is price, timing or conditions. That answer is more useful than immediately increasing the bid.
 
Back
Top