Remote management would wipe out my Buenos Aires rental surplus — keep or sell?

teaAndPath

Property investor
Established
An 11% management charge would leave this rental with almost no monthly cushion once I move away from Buenos Aires. The quotes also separate out finding a new tenant and overseeing repairs, so a vacancy or routine turnover could require me to add cash. Insurance and other holding costs make the margin tighter again.

Selling before I leave would be simpler, but I am not sure thin cash flow alone justifies it. I could instead appoint a manager for a limited period and review the actual costs after the first turnover. For owners managing from elsewhere, which services proved essential, and what made you decide the arrangement was no longer worth keeping?
 
Almost no surplus doesn’t automatically mean sell, but it does mean the property cannot absorb many surprises. Recalculate using collected rent rather than advertised rent, then deduct vacancy, tenant turnover, property tax, insurance and a maintenance reserve as well as management. If that result is negative in an ordinary year, you’d be relying mainly on future price gains.
 
Is there financing on the property? That could change the answer more than the 11%. I’d test what happens if interest or other loan costs rise, if applicable, and if the unit sits empty between tenants. Also clarify whether the letting fee is charged at every turnover and what “maintenance coordination” actually costs.
 
The weak surplus is concerning, but self-management may no longer be a genuine alternative. Paying someone locally can prevent a small repair or tenant problem from becoming a much larger remote headache.

I would compare the managed return with the net proceeds and costs of selling. If management still leaves the property able to fund insurance, turnover and ordinary repairs, keeping it may buy useful flexibility. If it needs regular cash contributions even in a normal year, selling becomes the cleaner option.
 
True, but convenience can become an expensive way to postpone a sale. I’d ask each manager for the same itemised scenario: one tenant change, a vacancy period and a meaningful repair. Include any mark-up or separate coordination charge. If the property still covers itself under that scenario, keeping it is defensible; if the owner must regularly add cash, the decision becomes more about conviction than income.
 
Before deciding, how long do you expect to be away? Paying for management during a defined absence is different from accepting permanently thin returns. I’d also want to know whether the property has an adequate reserve already. A low-surplus rental with cash set aside is much less fragile than one where every repair must come from that month’s rent.
 
A practical next step is a one-page comparison with three columns: self-manage locally, retain with management, and sell. For the managed column, use the full quoted fee structure, vacancy allowance, turnover, maintenance reserve, insurance, property tax and financing costs—not just the 11%. For the sale column, get Argentina-specific tax and transaction estimates from appropriate local advisers. Then add a non-financial line: how much remote responsibility you are actually willing to carry. That often makes the choice clearer than the headline management percentage.
 
Back
Top