I’m testing a preliminary renovation budget of €186,400 for a 190 m² student housing property in Amsterdam. The scope covers the kitchen, bathrooms, flooring, painting, electrical checks and moderate energy upgrades. No extension or planned structural work is included.
My main concern is not the finish level but hidden conditions and sequencing: plumbing access, moisture, electrical work that grows after inspection, contractor exclusions, material lead times and any permit delays. I would rather simplify the design early than run short of cash halfway through.
What contingency would you carry for this scope, and what specific questions should I put to the surveyor and contractors before fixing the budget? In particular, which investigations would best distinguish a manageable refurbishment from a project with substantial concealed work?
My main concern is not the finish level but hidden conditions and sequencing: plumbing access, moisture, electrical work that grows after inspection, contractor exclusions, material lead times and any permit delays. I would rather simplify the design early than run short of cash halfway through.
What contingency would you carry for this scope, and what specific questions should I put to the surveyor and contractors before fixing the budget? In particular, which investigations would best distinguish a manageable refurbishment from a project with substantial concealed work?